Animal rescue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 8yr old boy called to me around 10pm last night...said that the cat was whining outside and needed to come in.

No prob. I go to the front door and whistle for kitty to come in, only, kitty is not at the front door... kitty is about 16ft up our Red Oak and sitting in the crotch.

Hmmmm..... do I leave kitty up there to figure it out herself?

No way, the 8yr old says he's gonna go call mom. I say "no way". So, me being the bright guy that I am and having access to climbing gear... I decide to just hold the old 8ft ladder above my head in an effort to give kitty a nice set of "stairs" to decend safely to the ground.

Kitty looks at the ladder, then looks at me, then turns and faces the opposite direction. No way. Kitty is too smart. Man, I should of had a camera :)

After gathering my wits and strapping on the saddle (in the PJ's, of course), I made a triumphant climb to save the kitty. Kitty is so scared that the old claws are at full attention. Kitty ain't gonna get pulled out of this tree. I had to actually get right next to the cat before it felt secure enough to step into my lap.

After which, I proceeded to throw kitty to the ground... She was a little freaked out after the whole incident, but in good health nonetheless. Hope she learned a lesson.

Anybody else done animal rescue?

Well, a few years ago I put my Mom's cat on the roof.

She made me go up and get Mittens down:rolleyes:

I've been told the best way is to turn a rope bag half inside out and throw it over the critter. This will help you avoid getting scratched.

I have done 2 "rescues" so far. One at my Daughters school. The kitty had been in the tree all day. Kids were trying to get it down by calling it. Just a puny little Maple tree. I had taken my Daughter to play and they asked if I was the rescue guy? I said no but I could be. Climbed the tree like a Monkey and stuffed it in my Vest. Then climbed back down. Kitty was happy. Some one from school adopted it and named it Treetopper. I ended up with my picture in the school paper. And my Daughter being very happy with her Daddy.
Next rescue was about 30' up a Maple. The Kitty had been there 2 days. This time I had to throw on the climbers and belt. I took a little backpack up with me. Then I lowered the Kitty down to the ground. I found out the next day that it belonged to an old Couple and he had been gone for a week. They wrote a very nice letter to me for that.
So it was fun and I felt better for helping out. I have been climbing for 20+ years and still haven't found any dead Kitty's in the trees

I've done two for a veterinarian's personal cat. Both times she waited a full week, yes seven days, for the cat to come down on its own before I went up ~30' to get it. Next time tell your 8-yr old that kitty is able to handle things ok on her own for a while, and at least wait until daylight!:rolleyes:

Had an early morning cat rescue call today, first one in my first year on the job. Little black cat had was about to spend its second day 50ft up a sycamore....at least it didnt turn into a furious ball of teeth and claws when it was grabbed :)

TS.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
7 days, suppose kitty was eating squirrils?
No, just very fat when she went up. going that long without water is what really amazes me! NOt once but twice, and a year apart.

The vet is now a regular customer, bartering pet care for tree care.

Done a couple... always good for a laugh!

By the way, anybody want any kitties?

Got 5 over here...

So... any takers? :D

attachment.php

cats are tough

On one of the hottest days of the summer, a few years back, a stray kitten got into one of the guy's truck, in the morning.
The cat spent the day locked up inside, with the windows rolled up. The truck was on concrete, in direct sunlight, until we rolled back in around 5 pm.

The guy found him on the floorboard, passed out, and brought him to me. He was totally limp, tongue hanging out, looking dead. I put it under a water faucet, and soaked him. The pu$$y sprang back to life, and appeared to be completely recovered. It even ate some lunch that was left over.

It was run over by one of the guys at work, a couple a weeks later. But up til then, it was fine!

Re: cats are tough

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
It was run over by one of the guys at work, a couple a weeks later. But up til then, it was fine!
What was its name, Lucky?:D

I don't know how you guys keep your computer cats off the keyboard. Mine tapdances there every chance she gets.:angry:

I don't usually have a problem with klitties on the keyboardmnmnfvkgfkhkmtoedkjsamn,m blkkm349gkldfb ,m

Ive never seen a cat skelton in a tree

But i almost drilled a possum once.
I bar him in doing a bracing job.

Latest posts

Back