Animal rescue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old boss rescued a kitty from a tree and was put in the paper for it. I did find a rabbit skeleton about fifteen feet off the ground in the first crotch of a large silver maple. I have no clue how it got there. It was crammed in there real good though.I am guessing a cat or an owl ate allot of it then dropped the remains down into the crotch.? Who knows?

Years ago fire dept called tree crew out to rescue cat in tree out front of preschool. Pulled up in 55' hi-ranger to get kitty out of middle of messy pin oak. As I got closer kitty kept going up and up. Had to bail bucket and get into tree with burlap bag. I finally got to cat at top when she ran out of branches and then the scratching started. Made it back to ground with cat in bag and arms scratched to all h**l. Was ready to start up chipper for that stupid cat when I noticed about 50 pre-schooler sitting enjoying the show.
Had to play nice kitty game for the kids.

Butch, you should see what a Vermeer BC 1000 will do to a frozen road kill mule deer. With that being said I had a racoon that kept getting into my garage and digging through my trash, On night I busted him and as I was running for my pistol he was hauling butt up a fir tree. To make a long story short the only flash light I had wouldnt shine that high up into the tree, and since I lived miles away from any one I sent a few rounds his way. After each shot the sucker would chuck a cone down at me. Any who, I finally got tired of that. got my rope and saddle and went up the tree after him. Wish I had a pic of that. Rambo meets Rip Tompkins. LOL

Kenn

Cat extraction was the very first job we did on my first day of work as a tree guy, a long, long time ago...

Scourge, Tolkien, and Striper look like they have way too much sense to wander up where they can't get down. I think that not all cats were created equal.

Cat in a basket

My rotty, MOOCH, scared a little kitten 25' up a rotted Maple in my backyard. The cat was in the tree for a day.

i took my wrist rocket and got a line over the crotch , near the kitty. We hoisted a basket right next to the ???? feline, with food in it. NO LUCK. (tree to bad off to risk climbing)

We wasted (3) hours trying to get the cat in the basket.

So , we head in for the night , ready to call in the Fire Dept or get a bucket truck and the cat climbed down all on it's own.

Eventually instinct(maybe hunger) takes over and they come down.

When is the last time you found a dead cat in a tree?

I got a call about an iguana up a tree. Turns out it was an 8" tulip poplar and the lizard was about 50' up. The iguana kept climbing out of my range, and finally settled 10' out on the tips of a branch. I climbed up to the point where I couldn't go any higher without the tree tipping over, reached up and cut the branch the lizard was on. The branch dropped down to my level and I pulled it in until I could grab the iguana. Stuffed him in a bag and that was that (except for some scratches - they got some sharp claws!)

Back