Anniversary storm of the century

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was living in Buffalo at the time and I seem to recall the date. I could be wrong.
A little over 7' of snow in 36 hrs. To get a shovel full of snow all I had to do was hold on to it for a minute. No digging required. o_O

Lots of fun hangin' with my musician friends and drinkin' beer in the rehearsal space in my basement, between excursions into the mess to help dig out stuck police and rescue vehicles. I rebuilt 4 collapsed garages that summer.

March 12 to the 15th, 1993. So we will be getting a nice little mini repeat it seems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century
1970 was a humdinger also.....we had a bunch of snow that year. [1969-1970]. had a bunch in march,,then it thawed wayyyyy fast......frost heaved the roads like crazy,,and the gravel roads turned to mud. you could only get down them, with a wide front tractor. the neighbor passed,,and they had barge boxes,,with bales in the back,,to pick people up,,take em to church, then to the cemetary,,then back to their home!!!!! and it WASNT, warm outside!!!!! us kids,,stayed at aunts and uncles in town,,till the gravel roads were passable, about three weeks later!!! them roads were junk for over three years!!!!

i asked my wife if she rememberd that storm. she said "yes, thats the storm she thought i got lost in walking to the barn." it's only about 125' to the barn from the house. i got to the barn and just hung out there with the sheep.:laugh:
I always thought that was just a myth about country boys and sheep.

March 12 to the 15th, 1993. So we will be getting a nice little mini repeat it seems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century

Yup. I was driving in Cleveland, Ohio on an expressway during the blizzard and experienced my first whiteout. I didn't have a clue as to where I was going untill I noticed the guardrail barely visible through the right side window. I keep driving slowly right alongside the guardrail until I could see again. I was waiting for somebody to either rear end me or me hitting someone stopped. I was afraid to stop and afraid to go.......

Yup. I was driving in Cleveland, Ohio on an expressway during the blizzard and experienced my first whiteout. I didn't have a clue as to where I was going untill I noticed the guardrail barely visible through the right side window. I keep driving slowly right alongside the guardrail until I could see again. I was waiting for somebody to either rear end me or me hitting someone stopped. I was afraid to stop and afraid to go.......

So, my first daughter was almost born during this blizzard in 93 (false alarm - she then waited two days). I will NEVER be without a Jeep in my lifetime after that experience. It was up to the hood in the driveway. Cleared the door & exhaust and I was the only one to move on our street for a day or more!

Ya ya, we have a storm of the century about every 10 years or so it seems. And a 100 year flood about every 15 - 20 years.

Latest posts

Back