Another 041 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kent S

Reaction score
Hi All -

Newbie here. Glad I found this forum as I've already put some of the previous posts to good use. But, I could still use some of your expertise.

I bought an 041 recently. It's seen better days but I might be able to save the patient. Just not sure how much I want to invest in it. Long story short, a 90mph windstorm in my area earlier in the summer revealed that the Poulan Wild Thing was ok for branches/trees of the smaller size, but not for the bigger hardwoods that tend to fall on houses, over power lines, and vintage pickups (rats!).

A friend of mine lent me his 041FB - what a difference a real saw makes! I knew then that Tim the Toolman was again correct, more power!

I'm a relative novice to the chain saw. Only had the Poulan for a year or two before this, and used it only occasionally. So if I ask elementary questions, that's where I'm coming from.

First things first though - I could sure make good use of an 041FB service manual and a parts list (wink wink).

Thanks.

Kent S.

Thanks for the info. Very nice.

After checking it over a bit, I'm concerned there might not be enough compression. It's at 140psi, warmed up. Once I get a blade and chain on it, I'll know for sure.

If not, are new ring(s) something a shade tree mechanic should be able to?

140 should be fine for that saw.
Are you having any particular problems with it?

140 should be good. My BIL has an 041AV its a monster power and weight wise. I put a 24" bar on it to cut big choke cherry that fell down in my back yard. Squirrels and little kids ran away when I fired it up and put it to the wood.They are great saws with a big following. Good Luck :chainsaw:

I wouldn't be worried about the compression either. Fire it up and see how it runs. If it doesn't run well, it's probably just a simple impulse line, fuel line, fuel filter, or gummed up carb.

It ran initially, which is good. Kinda had a blat blat thing going on at idle - as if the timing was off. I adjusted the carb and that smoothed it out. It also eliminated the tendency to bog down at higher rpms. The carb looks like it's been re-worked. Newer gaskets, hoses, and such.

All in all, it's seen better days but hopefully will do what I need it to.

The clutch cover and the crank case are pretty eaten up by the chain though. Cosemetically ugly but I can't help but wonder how it got that way. Eating away at metal like that sure would be tough on the chain.

I could use a top handle support if anyone has one lying around. This one was broken at one time, then an attempt was made at welding it (which didn't work).

Once I get a bar and chain, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks all!

:cheers:

The clutch cover and the crank case are pretty eaten up by the chain though. Cosemetically ugly but I can't help but wonder how it got that way. Eating away at metal like that sure would be tough on the chain.

I could use a top handle support if anyone has one lying around. This one was broken at one time, then an attempt was made at welding it (which didn't work).

:cheers:[/QUOTE]

That damage happens when the chain either breaks or gets thrown off the bar from being too loose, etc. It's a good thing when the damage ends up there - I've seen first hand what can happen when it wraps up on the operator's hand or leg. The metal involved there would be either Magnesium or Aluminum, which are much softer than the hardened steel of the cutter, so it shouldn't hurt the chain any other than maybe dulling it a bit. As for welding magnesium, unless you're a very good welder with a TIG machine, it's extremely difficult.

That copmression is fine for that saw. Also there are always lots of 041 parts on ebay. You could probably find your upper shroud/ support there. Good luck these are nice saws.

Latest posts

Back