Another 056 ignition fix - almost

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ikeholt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I lost the spark on my beloved 056. I read about all the fix options but didn't like the choices. Just on a hunch I bought an aftermarket 070 coil for about 15 bucks.

With some dremel work I was able to fit the 070 components on the 056 coil plate. It worked, fat blue spark for less than twenty bucks.

Now the problem, the timing is off. I'm hoping somebody has a solution to set the timing. Timing light might help, but I don't have one. So if you can help solve the timing issue, this would be a great fix for many old 056 saws. Feel free to chime in.

I lost the spark on my beloved 056. I read about all the fix options but didn't like the choices. Just on a hunch I bought an aftermarket 070 coil for about 15 bucks.

With some dremel work I was able to fit the 070 components on the 056 coil plate. It worked, fat blue spark for less than twenty bucks.

Now the problem, the timing is off. I'm hoping somebody has a solution to set the timing. Timing light might help, but I don't have one. So if you can help solve the timing issue, this would be a great fix for many old 056 saws. Feel free to chime in.
Timing has to be reasonably accurate so you do need a timing light to do it, they are fairly cheap off the internet or if you know a mechanic, he would probably have one for real cheap as they are useless on modern engines. Do a search on this forum on how to do the timing, lots of good info.

I used to work for RE Phelon, the maker of a lot of ignition coils. They actually generate about 150 volts from the magnets and then discharge that voltage at the end of the cycle. my guess is that the spark is fired when the last magnet leaves the coil, so if your setup is a little different mechanically. I believe that the end of the coil engagement needs to have the same timing. my guess is that either moving the new coil so that the end is in the same timing, or moving the flywheel, the other way, to achieve the same result. I just fixed a MS391 that somehow had a stripped flywheel key. I lined it up, torqued it so it would not slip, 24FT-LB, and it worked. I bought it not working. Yours is more of a science project. Good luck.

Back