Another Black Walnut Goldmine (Stupid Homeowner)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoroilmccall

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/grd/731981878.html

Guy thinks his Black Walnut could be worth $10K. I told him I'd take it down for free if it is what he says it is, and its not too close to a house, property line, or any other structures/problems. I need to make a few stocks for the guns, and I have some other things I could use it for. Plus it shouldn't take me to long to do it. Here's to hoping he wises up.

That tree would halve to be huge to be worth 10K. Once you look at it it's probably in the 3K tops truth be told. But still, if you can make even $2000 for a couple hours of work i'd prolly jump on it.

well atleast this one is aware of the fact that his buddy might be full of :censored:

i bet you could talk him into something. trees probably hollow lol.

i bet you could talk him into something. trees probably hollow lol.

One of the reasons walnut and cherry have such value, they open up and have so many voids.

Even with OK logs, you often get only 80-100 at a mill. For it to be in the 4 figure range it has to be straight and long, with no knots. Class A veneer.

I thought the ad was written by a man with good reasoning. He don't know and just wants to find out. Ain't like he cut it up into little bits and put it in bags and is trying to sell them for 15 bucks for 6 pieces.
The yard boy down the way sells firewood to people with those outdoor pits for 50 cent a piece.
That would make 400 pieces( roughly a chord) 200 bucks.
Most likey that walnut is hollow.But if you know of some that isn't its gotta be worth 500 an ounce right now.
Every time I see that yard boy I ask him how many chains he went through on all that trunk wood he cuts from guys like me. Today he wasn't happy about it at all. I just keep the nice stuff from the middle of the tree.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back