Another crane accident.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wind gusts or not, I'd love to know who in their right mind would try to make a pick like that.

Crane work, or any tree work whatsoever, in 61mph wind gusts is super smart.....

You ain't kidding. Wonder what it was blowing at the boom tip? Worked in the mining industry for years with cranes up to 500 tons. It was always a hut-down in anything over 30mph sustained. Doesn't matter how many tag lines you have on, its just too difficult to control.

You ain't kidding. Wonder what it was blowing at the boom tip? Worked in the mining industry for years with cranes up to 500 tons. It was always a hut-down in anything over 30mph sustained. Doesn't matter how many tag lines you have on, its just too difficult to control.

30 MPH is my shut down threshold. Living in OK you have to get used to working in high winds, if not you just don't work. However, 30 and above is just getting ridicules to try to work in.

Cranes seem so sketchy, I have seen so many crane topples that it gives one pause to contemplate their use. I know how much easier it makes our job but it seems to give tree and crane services a bad name.

Looked like a pretty large chunk of tree and kind of a small crane, my guess is lack of experience on the operator and the cutter's part. Also in Michigan it is windy quite often but over 30mph it gets pertty easy to get knocked off balance. I had a job to remove some White pines and it was gusty when I was done my ground guy said I didn't want to say anything at the time but on a couple of those gust's that top was leaning over about 6' with you in it. I appreciated him not saying what I was thinking (this is just stupid).

As with everything else in this industry...............

Cranes seem so sketchy, I have seen so many crane topples that it gives one pause to contemplate their use. I know how much easier it makes our job but it seems to give tree and crane services a bad name.

a little common sense goes a long way.there are plenty of good crane ops out there.

It amazes me how many idiots survive as long as they do in this business.

So it was Sun State as I thought. They are a huge tree company in central FL. They also have a 75ton Grove that obviously they could have used there. They have at least 1 tub grinder and 5 bc2000 chippers.

I heard thay had over 100 employees in 2007 time frame.

Last edited:
So the it was Sun State as I thought. They are a huge tree company in central FL. They also have a 75ton Grove that obviously they could have used there. They have at least 1 tub grinder and 5 bc2000 chippers.

I heard thay had over 100 employees in 2007 time frame.

I agree that is a stupid move. I would not name the competitor in my area if it was me. If it is in your area, everyone knows it. :confused:
, yeah I deleted my last post because you asked me to. I thought you would to but you only shortened it. You could of said all you said before you deleted that part, and just left the co. name out. You are a small man.
Jeff

Did you guys see the end of that video? Sounds like this company is somewhat infamous locally. They keep making the news....bad news.

Only $1 million insurance? That guy is a joke and I bet he bullied the op to take the pick. Still the op's fault.
Jeff

As a full time operator its always my fault. That's why I don't do any pics I don't want to. That being said................WHAT IS ANOTHER CUT GOING TO COST! If there that worried about Crane time then learn to bid the job. Here's another thought don't get the smallest Crane you can and then want to pick up the world. Sorry to vent just my thoughts from the seat.

Back