Another crane accident.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think that piece is a little big though it might be dry and not as heavy as it looks. When it comes to trunk wood, which is what seems to be tipping cranes, its best not to push it. I usually try to figure what it weighs by the chart then add a few K when it comes to trunk wood.

Last edited:
Sunstate's 75-ton

So it was Sun State as I thought. They are a huge tree company in central FL. They also have a 75ton Grove that obviously they could have used there. They have at least 1 tub grinder and 5 bc2000 chippers.

I heard thay had over 100 employees in 2007 time frame.

It looks like the 75-ton operator was sitting in for the 30-ton operator that day. "just take the whole thing, I got it." How many times have I heard that.

What's funny is that Suntate used their 75-ton crane to remove Gator trees collapsed crane in 2008, charged them $10,000. We like overloading cranes in Florida.

Only $1 million insurance? That guy is a joke and I bet he bullied the op to take the pick. Still the op's fault.
Jeff

I had a 1 and a half policy at 19yo for side work. You cant help but wonder if the crew said 'I got a bad feeling about this' and the owner said, 'I dont care, do it or your all fired'. Worked for one of those before. Why the heck take a piece that big? Most times its too much of a PITA to lay down. Id rather stand on spikes cuttin than on em' waitin'. Moral is, someone effed up, we werent there, so we can only speculate. For all we know the outrigger was sittin on loose sand. Who knows?

I had a 1 and a half policy at 19yo for side work. You cant help but wonder if the crew said 'I got a bad feeling about this' and the owner said, 'I dont care, do it or your all fired'. Worked for one of those before. Why the heck take a piece that big? Most times its too much of a PITA to lay down. Id rather stand on spikes cuttin than on em' waitin'. Moral is, someone effed up, we werent there, so we can only speculate. For all we know the outrigger was sittin on loose sand. Who knows?

Yeah, who know's? Your comment about the owner being there sounds ridiculous. Bet it was the climber and if not, why not?
Jeff

Latest posts

Back