Another customer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am always surprised when people want my wood at $120 a cord. I make it clear that it is Willow and rates right at the bottom of firewood lists. Guy stopped today and wants 2 cords. That is even after I had him hold a chunk of willow and then handed him a chunk of Locust to show him what good wood is.

I always advise them to take a 1/2 cord as a trial. The topper is that he will be hauling it himself 60 miles to spokane. I just checked the paper and the prices there are from $210 to 240 for Tamarack/Red Fir (best wood available in quantity here). One add even lists "$125 cord dry Fir/Tamarack or take all 10 cords at $110". Location? 30 miles from Spokane. That ad looks like someone who tried heating with wood and momma put her foot down about the mess :).

Looks like I need to be scouting the county again looking for a Willow patch to clean up. Finished up the one I have been working on.

Harry K

If you're talking an actual cord, thats cheap money in these parts. Especially if its seasoned. I've never burned Willow in our stove, but i'm told it smells nasty when it burns. Is that true? Average seasoned hardwood prices around here are still close to $300 / cord.

If you're talking an actual cord, thats cheap money in these parts. Especially if its seasoned. I've never burned Willow in our stove, but i'm told it smells nasty when it burns. Is that true? Average seasoned hardwood prices around here are still close to $300 / cord.

There is Willow and then there is Willow - lots of different types. What I cut around here is nice clean wood, doesn't smell. I did cut one huge one down that did stink when I cut it but not after it dried. Never have had an odor problem burning any of it.

Harry K

Looking at the BTU charts, Willow @ $120/cord = White Oak @ $200/cord.

That's in the ballpark of what it's selling local to where I live, on the low side for Central Massachusetts, and way low for up in the Merrimack Valley area where I've been commuting to recently.

If I had a one ton with a dump insert, I probably could make a nice profit on my commute each day this time of year :)

I'm burning a fair bit of willow now. Not much stink, but tons of ash.

Looking at the BTU charts, Willow @ $120/cord = White Oak @ $200/cord.

That's in the ballpark of what it's selling local to where I live, on the low side for Central Massachusetts, and way low for up in the Merrimack Valley area where I've been commuting to recently.

If I had a one ton with a dump insert, I probably could make a nice profit on my commute each day this time of year :)

I realized after I made my OP that the guy's hawling 60 miles will cost him nothing. He visits his daughtger at WSU/Pullman and goes right by my place.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back