Another dang neighbors thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
Came home from work tonight and smelled smoke when I got out of the car. I knew it wasn't coming from my stove. Very slight breeze from the north told me it was coming from the neighbors down the hill. This was an unmistakeable smell. They were burning...

Wait for it...

Maple! I love that smell! It made me want some maple smoked ham. Now I'm frickin hungry, but the ham steaks are thawing on the counter till morning. Thanks, dangit!

I'll get even when the wind turns around, I'll toss a couple sticks of apple in and make em want some of that "Sweet Apple Wood" bacon!

Man, I thought you were gonna say cottonwood and complain about the stink!

I do that with alder here. I have a pellet smoker and I am a smoke junkie for alder, maple and apple wood smoke. I also love Doug fir smoke. Its in my blood. Even my cat loves smoked meat. He demands seconds, then even thirds when I smoke a bird here.

I basically restart the stove most mornings and I always use a bunch of small cherry splits. Several neighbors have commented on how nice it smells when they go out for work.

Utah juniper smoke smells like perfume. I thought it odd that everybody seemed to be using the same fabric softener in their dryers when I first arrived in the Southwest.

Let me see, have you built a huge fence, notified the cops (who are your friends of course) dealt with city hall, installed cameras, and whined about it sufficiently on this forum?:laugh: Get to work!

Figured you was gonna say they were burning Cannibis.:laugh: The neighbor and me smoked up the whole neighborhood yesterday burning leaves.
LOL!! Nice one Stihl Sawing!!

Glad you didn't start another one of those "too much drama" threads Steve. ;))

Last edited:
Utah juniper smoke smells like perfume. I thought it odd that everybody seemed to be using the same fabric softener in their dryers when I first arrived in the Southwest.

Let me see, have you built a huge fence, notified the cops (who are your friends of course) dealt with city hall, installed cameras, and whined about it sufficiently on this forum?:laugh: Get to work!

1. Yes, but the Purebred Frisbee Hound™ promptly dug a hole under it, rendering it ineffective.
2. Cops have friends?
3. I'd have to find a city that'd have me to be able to go to city hall.
4. Just a few, but they're handy for seeing where the beady eyed, corn eating, horn wearing, white tailed rats are NOT going to be during deer season, and that's about it. Well, that and 10,000,000 "selfies" of squirrels, turkeys, and the occasional 'yote.
5. Define "sufficiently".
6. Don't rush me, Patty. I ain't gotta be there till 3!
:D:laugh:

Well the thread is about smoke.

This reminds me of Saturday morning rounds of golf. One of the neighbors always fires up a burn barrel and wafting smell of smoldering/burning garbage can be enjoyed for hours.:dizzy:

Well the thread is about smoke.

This reminds me of Saturday morning rounds of golf. One of the neighbors always fires up a burn barrel and wafting smell of smoldering/burning garbage can be enjoyed for hours.:dizzy:

Glad I don't live there. The incessant drone about birdies running off with their bogies would drive me nuts in no time!!! Golf would be a useful (and way more fun) sport, if they'd let guys like me set up along the course with shotguns. (This is where I'd put the POKE smiley if we still had one)

I miss the morning smell of wood smoke and warming up diesel engines, seems more and more farms have been sold off around here for McMansion construction, I'm just thankful I have a big enough space between myself and them.

I smoke lots of meat here, I've had the neighbor call a few times wondering what I'm smoking, when it was just the owb. Several people around me burn wood, it's nice depending on the wind direction to smell the different smokes on the wind. I would do exactly what you're thinking Steve, send them a little apple when the wind is right!

Btw, love the part about 10,000,000 squirrel selfies!

Coming to a neighborhood near you -- Smoke Wars! Time to stock up with the most aromatic wood you can obtain! Good AND bad!

Ted

Yah, last year I saved my cottonwood for when the neighbor's a-hole landlord came by to work on their property. Cat pee smelling smoke is so lovely. This year I am out of the c-wood and all I have are aromatic woods, except maybe the locust. Of course, burning alder and maple will get him hungry wanting bacon... so this year I will wait 'till he comes by and fire up the smoker and torture the SOB. Apple and alder smoked pork shoulder on the pellet grilling for hours. Or smoked spring steelhead. Or rather, stihlhead at my place.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back