MN Shipping Firewood to Rich Folks around the World - $40 + shipping for 30 Pound Box

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Rich around the world snapping up Minnesota firewood at $40 a box
By Richard Chin [email protected]
Updated: 12/08/2011

Rich around the world snapping up Minnesota firewood at $40 a box - TwinCities.com

We Americans might depend on places like Saudi Arabia for the gas we burn in our cars. But guess where a well-heeled Saudi goes if he wants some white-barked birch logs, like the kind you see in designer magazine layouts, to burn in his fireplace.

Right here, baby.

The arrival of winter means firewood vendors from outstate Minnesota aren't delivering stacks to just Twin Cities homeowners.

They're also boxing up their prettiest hand-cut logs and FedExing them to Middle Eastern sheiks, Hollywood stars and Manhattan sophisticates who are all looking for a whiff of fragrant North Woods fireplace smoke.

That may be why a holiday gift guide article in the Wall Street Journal last weekend suggested a box of firewood from J.N. Firewood, described as "from the area where 'Fargo' was set."

"Ask for Angie, who says 'youbetcha' (no kidding!)," the article said.

"My phone did not quit ringing yesterday. Holy jiminy crickets," said Angie Nelson, owner of the firewood company in Fort Ripley, Minn.

Nelson said several new customers who saw the article made her say "you betcha" before they hung up.

Compared with other gifts suggested by the Wall Street Journal - a $310 bra and panty set, a $3,400 cashmere robe, a $19,900 wrist watch - a gift of firewood seems pretty affordable.

The newspaper noted that a 30-pound box of split hickory, oak and birch, enough for a couple of fires, costs about $40, plus shipping, which Nelson said usually runs about $25.

But if you live in Minnesota, J.N. Firewood trucks will deliver a rack of about 1,100 pounds of firewood to your door - for only $155.
That works out to a mere 14 cents a pound, compared with well over a couple of bucks per pound if you buy it by the box delivered by FedEx.

But customers from Hawaii to Florida apparently are willing to pay extra for real Minnesota wood.

"We ship a lot to New York and Manhattan," said Joe Nelson, Angie Nelson's husband.

Local firewood venders say a lot of the hardwoods available in Minnesota burn well and have nice-smelling smoke. But the wood is difficult to find in other parts of the country.

"In Colorado, all they have there are pine trees," Angie Nelson said.

Dennis Tretter, owner of Minnesota Firewood near Little Falls, said he just filled a rush order of about 1,500 pounds of "decorative red oak" to a hotel on the East Coast.

Tretter said he charged $270 for the wood, but the shipping costs, including airfare, put the total bill close to $2,000.

Angie Nelson said her company has shipped rail containers filled with birch, oak, hickory and apple firewood to the deserts of the Middle East.

Fireplace aesthetes especially seem to want white-barked paper birch logs in their hearths.

"I've had a lot of women consider this romantic firewood. It burns in a blue flame. It crackles and pops. It's got a real pretty smell," Tretter said.

But some birch buyers don't want to burn it. They just want to look at it.

"Some people put it in their fireplace just for cosmetics," Joe Nelson said.

"We call it the Cadillac of firewood," said Sharon Wilczek, owner of Paul's Fireplace Wood in Little Falls.

Her company sells boxes of six to eight decorative birch logs, costing from $53 to $83 per box, depending on the thickness of the log.

Wilczek said her company's wood has been recommended by Town & Country magazine and her logs have appeared in a Better Homes and Gardens photo shoot.

Customers have ranged from the Playboy Mansion to a movie star in Beverly Hills.

"I can't tell you who it is," Wilczek said.

An operating manual of sorts is included for those who actually might like to try burning the wood.

Instructions are included for those who might actually like to try burning the wood.

"When you order our holiday sampler," Wilczek said, "that comes with instructions on how to build a fire."

Just when you have thought you've seen it all....

An operating manual of sorts is included for those who actually might like to try burning the wood.

Instructions are included for those who might actually like to try burning the wood.

"When you order our holiday sampler," Wilczek said, "that comes with instructions on how to build a fire."

You've got to be kidding...:msp_confused:
We are in the wrong business boys!

Free enterprise, capitalism, and entrepreneurship at work.

(Maybe also a few folks with too much money)

Its all about marketing a good product, to the right people. I actually got one of their customers last year. He was paying near $600 a cord for birch delivered, I bid it at $400 a cord and the man is thrilled....Find your niche. Heating wood is not it.

You got that right, capitalism at it's finest.

Now how do I get a piece of this pie.....

Wuz First

Refer to previous post .....copyrighted :

Boutique Firewood

For you firewood peddlers looking for business, check this out.
< jnfirewood.com > out of Minnesota sells guaranteed two Y.O. seasoned sticks of split hickory, red oak, and white birch overnight to YOUR DOOR.
Price ? ~ $40. for a 30 lb bundle with ~ 8-10 sticks. Now that's a whole lot more elegant than the convenience store plastic bundles of spruce for $10.

Short plug in this weekend's WSJ for gifts including lacy loungewear, a $3400. cashmere robe, bubble bath $70., and matching PJ's for $175.

You owe LB one Phil............

I grew up in north-central Iowa instead of the north-east part where I am now. Back in the 70's open fireplaces where all the rage, seemed like everyone either had one, or was getting one. Clean white Paper Birch was non-existent in north-central Iowa (it ain't all that common here) but we had tons of it at the lake home in Minnesota. One year my dad hauled home some "select" Paper Birch home and gave it as Christmas presents to friends and family... People were absolutely thrilled! Of course they didn't burn the birch, it sat in little decorative racks next to the fireplace and/or in the fireplace itself as decoration when it wasn't being used. For weeks after that dad had people asking if he had any more of that "pretty" fire wood, and if they could buy some... It sort'a became a joke around the house. That was something over thirty years ago, and last I knew, one of my Aunt and Uncle's still have that birch as decoration.

There's just no tellin' what people are willing to pay for.

Thank you Phil....thank you very much ( E. Presley).

BTW: Why not ? Good marketing with what is normally thought of as a commodity by most. Capitalism.:msp_thumbsup:

You know, I have to say this is great timing. I have a friend in Colorado and I've been wondering what I should give him for Christmas. Now I think I know. He'll look downright rich n snobbish with some good hardwood stacked next to the stove.

Hmmmmmm.......

I may have found a way to get rid of some of that basswood....Now where is that white rattlecan at?.....lol

A new strain of "Secret Skwerl Boutique White Paper Birch."

All kidding aside, good for them.

The funniest part of the whole thing is that the paper birch is really pretty crappy firewood IMHO. I have a bit of it in my pile and I would be just as happy if it were pine. Maybe I should pull it out and clean it for sale. No, I think i'll just burn it.

Why not ? Good marketing with what is normally thought of as a commodity by most. Capitalism.

Well, some people are wiling to pay for pet rocks, and for cars that park themselves, so I have no problem with it.

The only 'fly' in the ointment might be a different type of bug. We have quarantines on firewood transportation in my part of Minnesota, due to the emerald ash borer (EAB). I know that there are other wood-borne pests in other parts of the country. So, I assume that one might need to kiln dry the wood, or have it certified somehow, to make it both safe and legal to ship to other parts of the country?

Philbert

Big city people love white birch. The laws of supply and demand should eventually bring the price of a 30lb box of wood down a tad if enough
sellers get into the "boutique" business. Seems like a great way for the 1% of the population who can afford stuff like this to give
a little back to the 99% of us poor folks that think this is a ridiculous concept.

Hmmm, do people with that kinda money know birch from poplar? :hmm3grin2orange::givebeer:

Do you think they know what poplar is?? You Got to find a nich in bussness sound like he has. It a good idea to me.
Hmmm. I got plenty of New Hampshire white birch.

Demean Your Customers ? WTF !

Righteous speech follows :angry2:

IF you're in business, to demean your customers by calling them dumb ("...knowing species of wood..." ), or labeling them "rich" is stupid.

Without getting into the argument of present ideological divisiveness ( "THE RICH" ), to use some simple bumper sticker platitudes: you're shooting yourself in the foot, or getting foot-in-mouth disease. For the dirt soldiers among us: "it's not a hill you want to die on."

Get it straight: most of your customers don't WANT, or don't have the time, or don't have the skills, or whatever the reason they buy your product (e.g. firewood ) for what ANY market will pay, the vendor--you--sells. With a smile.

Get rid of the attitude. Get out and do the job.

BTW: "Boutique Firewood" isn't a bad concept for a labor intense commodity like firewood. Try it. Example: Though we don't use Cedar for our stoves, we give bundles of it for friends/family with fireplaces....smells nice, burns well.

JMNSHO

Latest posts

Back