Another eBay burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eBay sellers jacking up shipping charges

I'm looking at chainsaw power heads on eBay and notice a big disparity in shipping charges on USPS.
e.g., shipping from FL might be $15, while, what has to be the same weight of another powerhead from IA, will be $29.
R sellers jacking up shipping to make up for what they know they won't get for their item?

looks suspicious to me...
anybody have any ideas, or are my suspicions unfounded,
thanks,
g

I'm looking at chainsaw power heads on eBay and notice a big disparity in shipping charges on USPS.
e.g., shipping from FL might be $15, while, what has to be the same weight of another powerhead from IA, will be $29.
R sellers jacking up shipping to make up for what they know they won't get for their item?

thanks,
g

Yes, they do it all the time, with any kind of item you look at. I just don't buy from people that jack shipping charges.

thanks,
g
i sell a lot of stihls' on ebay,and elsewhere. and i raised my shipping a bunch,because ups raised theirs. i got tired of losing money in shipping. i dont want to profit,i just dont want to pay to ship someone elses saw.

parrisw?

i agree,i ve had people try to tell me how to do a good job with pics. i can load them on photo bucket pretty easy,but after that things go down hill quickley. someone needs to do an informative thread on pics,LOL!

I think it was parrisw who posted a tutorial on pics...

worked great for me. I don't use photo bucket. just load them onto the thread from my 'puter.

hey snelling dude,
are you cutting trees in front of an abandoned house in your vids?
that looks like a nice homestead. well, it might have been before someone poached all the trees. :chainsaw:

:)

I see some parts of it falling apart but there's some nice stone up under one of the windows. whats the story?

Lol. I've talked to the owner. He bought the property a couple years ago to put an office in. Right after that they came out with plans to put a new hospital in right behind it. There is only this house and one beside it left. It's now for sale as commercial property. He said every tree on the property is to come down. It's a real shame too since there's some huge old oaks on the property.

Lol. I've talked to the owner. He bought the property a couple years ago to put an office in. Right after that they came out with plans to put a new hospital in right behind it. There is only this house and one beside it left. It's now for sale as commercial property. He said every tree on the property is to come down. It's a real shame too since there's some huge old oaks on the property.

A dream opportunity for someone who wants to play with his saws! I'm jealous. :chainsaw:

thanks,
g
I think they're allowed shipping and handling..this includes trips to the post office, packing materials. tape, etc. If you just charge what the post office charges you'll end up paying a little out of your pocket for the other guys shipping. I honestly don't know how the "free shipping" guys do it. One thing you don't want to do is sell your saw for .99 and offer free shipping!
There's nothing suspicious about it..if you think the total price (price+shipping) is more than you want to pay just don't bid. At least that's what I do.

I think they're allowed shipping and handling..this includes trips to the post office, packing materials. tape, etc. If you just charge what the post office charges you'll end up paying a little out of your pocket for the other guys shipping. I honestly don't know how the "free shipping" guys do it. One thing you don't want to do is sell your saw for .99 and offer free shipping!
There's nothing suspicious about it..if you think the total price (price+shipping) is more than you want to pay just don't bid. At least that's what I do.

True, but some guys shipping is WAY outa line.

True, but some guys shipping is WAY outa line.

I learned my lesson the hard way...sold a Cub Cadet hitch and asked $15 for shipping. As luck would have it, someone from out west bought it and I had to cough up close to $30 for shipping. I've learned to look up the postage first and add a couple of dollars to it for incidentals and I always assume it's not going to be close. I think for larger chainsaws with bar, something in the $20s wouldn't be too bad. For small saws probably a little less. The post office doesn't offer a flat rate box big enough to put a chainsaw in so it's kind of a judgment call but I've seen shipping prices close to $50 and that's excessive unless your shipping a Mall 2 man chainsaw.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback

Truly appreciate the feedback,
I'm not a seller on eBay ( I wonder where the word eBay came from) but I can sympathize with sellers, all the work is on them.

I don't bid on something that has jacked up shipping, you have to look at the total price, delivered, to determine if it's really worth it, or if I want it that bad.

I'm looking at one now where the shipping is WAY LOW compared to others of same item. I'm debating on this one....

Thanks all for input,
g
:cheers:

Truly appreciate the feedback,
I'm not a seller on eBay ( I wonder where the word eBay came from) but I can sympathize with sellers, all the work is on them.

I don't bid on something that has jacked up shipping, you have to look at the total price, delivered, to determine if it's really worth it, or if I want it that bad.

I'm looking at one now where the shipping is WAY LOW compared to others of same item. I'm debating on this one....

Thanks all for input,
g
:cheers:
I found out that the lowest price is not always the best price. In other words there are honest sellers and there are scammers on ebay. It's one thing to have high shipping prices and quite another to charge low shipping prices and not ship at all or send something other than what you ordered.

I saw the post...and I can relate. Seller posted a 365 special, stating it only needed a spark plug boot, and a choke lever..."runs great, needs nothing other than what's stated" I buy the saw for $150 shippped, it's a total POS, cylinder cooling fins cracked and missing....He knew, bad A/V mounts, cracked top cover, missing bar and chain, damaged in shipping. The $150 included shipping, now he gives me a story I didn't ask for shipping insurance. I told him I wasn't responsible for the shipping and COMMON SENSE would dictate insuring an item as expensive as a chainsaw that can be damaged in shipping. Plus seller didn't offer insurance as an additional charge.

Long story short, ebay, and paypal did NOTHING

AMEX, stepped up, Told them my story...they did investigate, actuallly contacted the seller. It took almost a month to complete their investigation. Bottom line AMEX REVERSED THE CHARGES!!!! GOD DOESN"T SLEEP! and I still have the saw...I can't wait until he sees the money gone out of his paypal account and contacts me :hmm3grin2orange:

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, use a credit card to pay for something on ebay, through paypal. If you get hosed, and you can document it, your credit card company will back you 99% of the time.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, use a credit card to pay for something on ebay, through paypal. If you get hosed, and you can document it, your credit card company will back you 99% of the time.

That's exactly what I do, and for that exact reason...
g

Back