Another Ethanol thread - Washington State

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what a crock this ethanol is...

If you read the post I linked to a few pages back here the ethanol % is going up again at the end of August all around Puget Sound I don't know about the rest of the State

My wife went to town today and she picked me up 6 gallons of 100LL A/V fuel at the airport $37:)

It the only way I roll now. I left fuel in all my saws last year and haven't had any issues at all with it.

To get back on topic... the Lake Roesiger store has non heathanol... Until a few weeks ago I didn't even know they had a pump there... which is awesome cause its a shorter drive to it then to go into town, by like a whole quarter mile :msp_tongue:

it would be interesting if someone would do that water ethanol test in these "non-ethanol" stations and see what they come up with:msp_sad:

I would almost be willing to bet there will be ethanol in some of them

My wife went to town today and she picked me up 6 gallons of 100LL A/V fuel at the airport $37:)

It the only way I roll now. I left fuel in all my saws last year and haven't had any issues at all with it.

I just stumbled across a station close to me (10 minutes) that sells CAM II @ 9.89/gallon ....... 100 octane

I know AV Gas has anti-gelling agents added (bad for diaphragms ?), possibly others - as well as some lead - but @ about $6/gallon ....... AV Gas might be next for me as well !

I made a trip to Canada the other day (45 minutes away) and pick up 30 gallons of non-ethanol fuel for myself and my uncle
So you did eventually make the trip up!

Chevron's Non Ethanol up here is rated at 94 Octane.
Shell's Non Ethanol up here is rated at 91 Octane.

I suppose you could take your pick between these two guaranteed providers, depending on your Octane level required, and how much you are willing to spend for the extra Octane.

Just for an extra savings tip now, any border entry from Huntingtom/Sumas into the area known as Abbotsford, which is OUTSIDE of what we call the GVRD, means you'll pay about $0.10+/liter less than the same fuel purchased IN the GVRD, which does encompass all the other crossings including Aldergrove, Truck Crossing, and Peace Arch. Once outside of the GVRD, such as Abbotsford is, the fuel is taxed about 10 cents less/liter less. Something to think about if you are close to any of these crossings...

Last edited:
Oh, and if you have some extra time to kill around here, I believe you can still purchase "old school" jerry cans here also, without anti-spill and anti-fume guards, if that's your thing...

As of today a new law that states ALL fuel most have Ethanol in it

Went out cutting this morning ran out of fuel went to 4 stations that had Non Ethanol last week and there were signs on the pumps that read Ethanol 10%

I called a friend that works at a refinery at Cherry Point and he talked about it and it came from Olympia

Surely the law states "on road fuel"?

Seems an airport, marina, bulk suppliers to ag businesses are exempt?

So you did eventually make the trip up!

Chevron's Non Ethanol up here is rated at 94 Octane.
Shell's Non Ethanol up here is rated at 91 Octane.

I suppose you could take your pick between these two guaranteed providers, depending on your Octane level required, and how much you are willing to spend for the extra Octane.

Just for an extra savings tip now, any border entry from Huntingtom/Sumas into the area known as Abbotsford, which is OUTSIDE of what we call the GVRD, means you'll pay about $0.10+/liter less than the same fuel purchased IN the GVRD, which does encompass all the other crossings including Aldergrove, Truck Crossing, and Peace Arch. Once outside of the GVRD, such as Abbotsford is, the fuel is taxed about 10 cents less/liter less. Something to think about if you are close to any of these crossings...

I have friends just across the Aldergrove crossing so I went and visited them before the races last week

Oh, and if you have some extra time to kill around here, I believe you can still purchase "old school" jerry cans here also, without anti-spill and anti-fume guards, if that's your thing...

I went to the local speed shop here and bought a few of this fuel jugs

View attachment 288622

Surely the law states "on road fuel"?

Seems an airport, marina, bulk suppliers to ag businesses are exempt?

So far I haven't found any "off road" supplier in my area that carry non-ethanol fuel and I've been to them all here; all the farm suppliers stations have ethanol

Whoops marinas and airports have it

Last edited:
Well said Casual Cutter about filling up in the valley (Abbotsford or Aldergrove)

I never though Americans would buy Canadian gas, last week I got Chevron 94 non ethanol for 1.56/L Yikes!

my findings are Shell is hit and miss for non ethanol and Chevron Supreme (red handle) is usually not.

Well said Casual Cutter about filling up in the valley (Abbotsford or Aldergrove)

I never though Americans would buy Canadian gas, last week I got Chevron 94 non ethanol for 1.56/L Yikes!

my findings are Shell is hit and miss for non ethanol and Chevron Supreme (red handle) is usually not.

I think it was 19 L to a 5 gallon jug and I was at a Chevron station

With Ethanol the CO2 and HC are lower but they are replaced with Nitrogens of Oxide which is supposed to be worse so it would seem we are trading two known "regulated gasses" for an new potentially worse one which isn't checked for.

I've never lived anywhere that does emission checks, so I don't know what that's all about. BUT, Oxides of Nitrogen (in that order) are why all cars have come with catalytic converters since the 80's, and why diesels now run urea. Not exactly a new emission concern. They (NO and NO2) are the chemicals behind acid rain.

Back