another expert question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathonJEB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Around here I can rent a log splitter from a tool rental place for 50$ a day or a weekend if rented on Friday. I am going to rent one for at least one weekend just to get started on next years stash. The question I have is how many logs can one split in a weekend? I dont want to be waisting my splitting time by cutting logs for it. I have a front and back picture of my stack so far. Just give me your estimates on how long an average person could split this given no problems occur.

View attachment 126838
View attachment 126839

You should be able to split between 4 and 10 cords in a weekend depending on wood size and species, and if you have help or not. I would say you could split your pile in one weekend easy.

Do they rent by the hour? That pile could be split in less than 2 hours if working alone.

They rent by the 8 hour day around here, but if you rent it on friday its not due back until monday morning for the cost of one 8 hour rental. What are after split boxes?

It depends on the splitter, and your endurance level.

You should be able to split that pile in a weekend, and $50 is cheap compared to here.

If the splitter has a low working height, where you'll be sitting on a 12" tall round or bench, then allow time to stand up and stretch often, or you'll be asking for a strain.

Allow time for moving the splits away from the splitter so you don't bury the work area. Are you going to be tossing the splits into a pile, then keep an open path to move the splitter along as needed.

To save steps, move the splitter closer to the wood as you work, also, it gives you a break.

Often times, renting can be the wiser way to go, it all depends on your needs and abilities.

Good luck, work safe, and pictures of the finished pile are mandatory.

:cheers:

Thanks. Im planning on trippling my stack before I rent, so I will post some more before pics and after pics.

You get someone to run the splitter and you keep feeding it wood and you can turn what you have in those photo's in two hours or less if you hump it, even thriple the piles, eat a good breakfast, start at 7 am and be finished by 1 pm in time to eat lunch.

Make sure you have more wood than you can split over the weekend....that way you get most rental value for your money.....

You get someone to run the splitter and you keep feeding it wood and you can turn what you have in those photo's in two hours or less if you hump it, even thriple the piles, eat a good breakfast, start at 7 am and be finished by 1 pm in time to eat lunch.

A recipe for a name change to Jonathan 9 fingers.

$50 for the weekend, no need to rush whatsoever.

Day two will expose many new muscles he didn't know were there.

I just met a guy who was distracted for a second, and he cut three fingers off at the first joint, two were reattached very well, but his glove looked a bit limp on the pinky. He has been in therapy twice per week for two years, and now has the strength of a 10yr old in his left hand.
He has 20yrs working firewood, and 4 little kids, wonder what advice he would offer.

in my opinion there is a big difference between pushing yourself and not paying attention and losing concentration.

Around here I can rent a log splitter from a tool rental place for 50$ a day or a weekend if rented on Friday. I am going to rent one for at least one weekend just to get started on next years stash. The question I have is how many logs can one split in a weekend? I dont want to be waisting my splitting time by cutting logs for it. I have a front and back picture of my stack so far. Just give me your estimates on how long an average person could split this given no problems occur.

View attachment 126838
View attachment 126839

Whazzat, oak? Are you in decent shape? Even 3X that pile isn't an enormous job -- unless it's something unsplittable I'd rather split by hand and keep the $50 in my pocket.

Jack

Its Oak and Hickory mostly. Up to this point I have split all my wood by hand. I want to get a lot of wood split before spring so it can be drying out, so I can just split the rest as I get it. Im wanting to be like most of the people on here and have a couple years worth stocked up, and if I can split just say 6 or 7 chords of wood with one 50$ rental from what im reading on here. I can sell a face chord to get that money back. The way im looking at it is that I can probably split 10 times the amount of wood in one weekend and save a lot of time and it not really cost any money for a spliter.

Wdchuck, in the last two seasons combined we have split well over 325 cords of wood for our firewood business. Guess what, no injuries, get a clue!
It takes common sense, it's not like a wood splitter is the most sophisticated
piece of equipment to run. If you can't get that amount split between 7 am and 1 pm safely your loafing, wouldn't make it on our crew. Hell, my twin 13 year olds run it all the time, but they have common sense. They have grown up on a farm and have a great deal of respect for how dangerous machinery is. The OP can stand around and smoke a cig and between every ten chunks and get done in a couple of days. With a cycle time of between 10 and 19 seconds on most hydraulic splitters, I'm sure most are capable of running them safely. With two people, you have two sets of eyes watching out, the splitter operator and the person placing the wood on the beam certainly safer IMHO than one person doing it.

Globally, the internet has billions of potential viewers.

I'd rather advise on the conservative.

I'm delighted you have gone through such volume without issue, while myself have crushed a finger on the third stoke of the mornings splitting.

Continued good fortune for you and yours.

Globally, the internet has billions of potential viewers.

I'd rather advise on the conservative.

I'm delighted you have gone through such volume without issue, while myself have crushed a finger on the third stoke of the mornings splitting.

Continued good fortune for you and yours.

I have to agree. For the weekend warrior why kill yourself or potentially get hurt for a bit of wood. I had a friend come out and help me for a day, I was working my usual pace and he was keeping up. Well he ended up taking a couple of days off work (his real job) to recover. I had to apologize, I have been doing this every day for months so it is not a huge deal but for your average Joe it is a huge strain on the body.

I always have tunnel vision when using my wood splitter. This means no PHONE,no interruptions ,& my hands are always on top of the log. That being said you need alot more wood cut to make a weekend of it. When you can get the splitter up next to the pile it goes really fast.

Wdchuck, in the last two seasons combined we have split well over 325 cords of wood for our firewood business. Guess what, no injuries, get a clue!
It takes common sense, it's not like a wood splitter is the most sophisticated
piece of equipment to run. If you can't get that amount split between 7 am and 1 pm safely your loafing, wouldn't make it on our crew. Hell, my twin 13 year olds run it all the time, but they have common sense. They have grown up on a farm and have a great deal of respect for how dangerous machinery is. The OP can stand around and smoke a cig and between every ten chunks and get done in a couple of days. With a cycle time of between 10 and 19 seconds on most hydraulic splitters, I'm sure most are capable of running them safely. With two people, you have two sets of eyes watching out, the splitter operator and the person placing the wood on the beam certainly safer IMHO than one person doing it.

I agree with indiansprings totally. Even three times that pile is a short day. Get someone to help because two people can do three times as much splitting as one. As far as safety, just keep your hands from from getting behind either end of the log when your splitting. I always load the splitter and have someone operate the lever. I always make sure to tell the person on the lever if they see my hands behind either end of the log not to pull the lever, even if I say to. It's worked well for me for years with no injuries. Good luck and happy splitting. Oh and by the way after you rent that splitter you'll probaly be buying one.LOL:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Latest posts

Back