Another firewood hauler thread...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weesa20

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have been offered a large (for me) opportunity to clean up about 10 acres that was recently harvested of hardwoods. I think it is a pretty sweet deal and am interested. The problem is that it would be 45 minutes each way and I can only haul 1/2 cord at a time with my current setup. I think if I could haul around a cord at a time it would be feasible and lucrative.

So, like all good shoppers, I check out CL. 1997 Dodge 1500 4wd extended cab long bed, looks pretty good from a dealer for pretty cheap. 5.9L gas, 227k. Do you guys think this would be up to hauling a cord of wood? 1/2-2/3 cord on trailer and the remainder in the bed?

There was also a 1998 chevy 1500 4wd, similar mileage, ext cab, short bed and a 1989 ford F150 4wd 5.0 regular car, reg bed.

other thoughts? I have along commute to my real job so I need to keep my little car for gas mileage reasons and my wife needs to keep her SUV for bay hauling, so we would be adding a 3rd vehicle, so it doesn't actually need to be "that" reliable, just needs to haul this wood and then probably be used for firewood delivery in the fall (plus I can wrench on it if I have to).

Really don't have a brand preference, more looking for the best value, so please no Ford v Chevy talk (well, maybe a little). Thanks.

a good half ton 4x4 with a goose neck trailer makes for a durable unit.... 1.5 cords in the neck and enough room in the back of the horse for all the fun stuff you will be needing! with out a doubt you will find that your going to be needing more stuff(equipment) than you will fit in the front seat of a regular wooders truck! like said a good heavy duty 12000 pounder will net you a full 2 cord payload...

Would 1/2 trucks handle, what 8k on the trailer and another 1500 on the bed? I will be making trips down there to cut, so I will need to make several trips anyway, I think there is also a point of diminishing returns.

I can haul 1 cord or a bit more on my 6x12 trailer pulled with an 04 5.3 Silverado. Another 1/3 cord in the box, but only when neccesary. Trailer weighs 2500 lbs plus 3500-5000 lbs wood and I'm pushing truck capacity and registration weight. 1/2 ton truck should get you by with an appropriate size trailer and loads. That said, I could load heavier, but I don't like abusing my equipment and 45 miles iwas too far to haul firewood and make it worthwhile.

Is your SUV a full size/truck based? how big of a trailer can it pull?

We helped my friend out in a similar situation a few weeks ago. We found a 6x12 dump trailer with 6' sides that I was able to borrow for free. Didn't fill it full as that would have been way overweight for a half ton but still got 1.5-2 cords in each load.

I don't have any advice except I have run all the scenarios many many times for myself. I still haul just a 1/3 cord. Good luck.

Little suv does great with 1/2 cord but that's all I can haul with it. And that's about all anyone wants to buy from me any way is 1/2 cord. I don't really want to keep using it though, wife can't go anywhere with the kids if I take it all day to cut. And she does like it when I leave saw chips in it.

Back