Another gas related problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vibes

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Bought a Redmax GZ 4000 that I was told had the gas left in it from last spring and it wouldn't start. Saw was like new and bought in 2007. I figure easy fix. Carb clean and fuel line. Well it didn't even need a fuel line, and the carb cleaned up nice and it fires right up.

Now heres the problem. There is more linkage on this carb that operates the strato intakes on the carb insulator. Its basically a round plastic shaft going through the insulator with holes in it, that open and close with the throttle. There is a rubber seal thats between the intake gasket and round shaft with those holes. Theres is an O-ring between the 2 intakes on the shaft and a rubber seal that holds the shaft in the insulator.

Like I said the saw fires right up, but the return spring won't open and close the strato intakes on the insulator. All the rubber pieces on that insulator are swelled. I tried soaking the whole set-up before I took it apart. It loosened up somewhat, but not enough. I took it apart, and found an O-ring but when I took it apart, the rubber seal that holds the shaft in place wasn't even plyable anymore and I'm sure will leak air. The seal still causes resistance on the round shaft and the throttle still feals sticky and doesn't operate smoothly like my Ryobi.

The IPL lists the isolator as one part and the only other part is the seal between the insulator and intake gasket.

I've had this problem witha sticking locking gas cap on one of my motorcycles but the gaskets can be replaced and the plastic pieces buffed a little for the fix. I don't see any other option but buying the whole insulator set-up and seal. Any site sponsors sell Redmax parts?

I think Redmax might have a lemon here. The rubber seal (the seal in the manifold with the two square holes in it) will swell and bind against the drum and cause the throttle to stick. Sometimes wide open!!! I'm on seal #3.
Komatsu/Redmax/Zenoah should address this. Not much chance since this is not real new. I guess there are not enough of them for the cpsc to get enough complaints. Maybe the Craftsman association will drag us into a real fix. The official excuse of "must be ethanol in your fuel" might not satisfy the govt. It's not practical to take it apart every time you use it to take it out. I got my saw in Feb of 08 and am on seal #3 with less than perfect function in between changes. I only order them when I really need them. I sand them and cut them with razor blades just so I can use the saw. The part # is 848-C50-16F1. Needless to say, I will suffer with this saw for a while but no more Redmax for me.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to check mine later today. I had to buy the entire insulator and the seal. I think I pitched the junk part but the more I think about it I should have measured the new vs. the old to see if the hard plastic was swollen as well as all the rubber parts being trashed.

I would expect Red Max to at least sell the rubber parts seperate of the entire insulator. Pretty pricey fix for a few rubber seals.

Have you heard of others with this problem? Those GZ 4000's are pretty expensive machines to be having a little glitch like this. If there are more of them out there and this is a recuring problem, soonen or later the lawyers will be involved.

I have 1 and a good friend of my neighbor has one. He has not had the same problems as I have but I do not talk to him very often. The information on it being a fairly common problem and being blamed on ethanol comes from 2 different Redmax dealers, one local and 1 internet. But at home I have an fs85, an echo blower, 017, makita6401, a 140hp outboard, and lots of 4 stroke stuff. At work we have 2 fs85, 3 fs90, 5 tanaka edgers, 3 shindiawa blowers, stihl pole saw, 1 shindiawa edger, a 034, a ms260, and lots of 4 stroke stuff. I have 1 4stroke tiller that has chronic fuel related issues due to lack of use, but of everything else I use or own the GZ4000 is the only thing that will not run on the fuel I can buy at the pump. So my feeling is if all that stuff including the picky little 017 will run on what I/we buy I'm not setting the bar too high to expect the Redmax to run on it. Unless by some miracle or fluke and one of the future seals I buy works, the name Redmax/Zenoah/Komatsu is mud with me. Not that they will care. But I guess I could call them directly before I throw them completely under the bus.

Hey vibe, I just looked at he parts break down and serial #300101 and up do not show a replaceable seal in the manifold. Something has got to be riding on the drum and it is most likely a similar seal but it does not even break the manifold down into parts, not even a gasket. And you know it's not cast into the head. I did not look real close but that looks to be the biggest change from ser#300101 and up. i did send redmax a email. I'll let you know what they say. Hope it's not "take it to the dealer". I do use a lot of Shindy stuff most everyday and love it, so not sure what is going on. I was hoping buying this "no need for a cat" thing was not going to be be a mistake.

http://www.redmax.com/node3951.aspx

and check what manual you want and type model# in search, you will see what I mean.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment with Red Max. My GZ 4000 runs fine since I replaced all the rubber parts and plastic insulator/ manifold. My only real issue was the fact as you pointed out to me that this manifold has to be bought as a unit. The inner o-ring that seperates the intake ports is a basic peice that can be found at any parts store. The seal at the end of the shaft is the one thats the Zenoah part that should be able to be bought seperately. I guess I can look at it as a peice of rubber, smaller than a dime that costs over $60.

Otherwise I'm more than happy with Red Max. I have a backpack blower and a Ryobi 40cc, and haven't had any problems. There was a right of way crew in our area last month, and all there ground saws were Red Max. I have another buddy who got the 53cc Red Max [on my advice] and it screamin little saw. He loves it!

If this is any consolation for you, My freind got a sweet looking 455 Husky at an auction. The thing looked new and he paid a pretty good amount for it. It wouldn't run at all as it sat. He had to buy a brand new carb for it. I think this is the reason there are so many Husky factory remans showing up on E-Bay lately.

No reply yet from Redmax. I called the dealer and ordered a new seal and gasket. Tried to call Redmax and got 20 minutes of music.

Yes the saw does run well when the seal is not swelled. But my benchmark of a company and a product is what happens when you have a problem. They all look good when they are running.

Heck, it runs great when the seal is swelled, it just runs full speed and won't slow down. Good thing the off/on switch still works.

Never heard from Redmax. Tried calling the 800 number waited from 4:40 till 5 and figured they were not going to answer. Went to the dealer and got another seal and went to Walmart and got some 40 fuel in a can. Since it is only a limbing saw I don't use that much fuel through it. 10.50 for 3 quarts. If that works, I can live with that. When you pour the fuel is just about clear and it does not smoke much at all, not used to that. I'll let you know how I make out vibes.

Still haven't heard from Redmax/Husqvarna. But luckily I stopped waiting. The TruFuel in a can from Walmart is doing fine by me and the little red saw loves it. Might have put 5-10 hrs on it over the summer. The rubber has not swelled and stuck the barrel yet, so that is an improvement.

I see Baileys sells that premix in the small cans that Wal Mart sells. I wonder if they ship it.

Also been seeing some sort of ethanol type of Sa Bil at the saw shops now.

I need to buy some of that stuff, as right know am low on mix.
Say a big ice storm would hit tonight and I don't have any gasoline
to mix for the saws. I can see were it would be good to keep
a gallon or so on hand.

TT

I think you are talking about the marine formula stabil. I just bought a bottle over the weekend. Haven't mixed any yet, but I just want some possible help for the stuff that sucks too much fuel to run the trufuel in, like the blower and bigger saw. I guess there is some information on here about the marine stabil but I haven't searched yet. And I going to continue to run the 40fuel in the redmax, cause if it aint messing with me I'm not messing with it.

My new mix is 100LL from the airport, Stihl HP Ultra at 40:1, and Marine formula Sta-Bil, with an ounce of Techron fuel system cleaner. A little smoky, but so far, so good.

I'm def getting some cans of 40 fuel and stashing them in cars and trucks- I'll be able to keep a dry saw in the car for emergencies, and fuel it only if I need it.

I think you are talking about the marine formula stabil.

No this was a blue liquuid and it was being marketed as a ethanol remedy of some sort. I might have seen it at the bike shop.

Back