Another glove thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Buddy of mine gave me a pair of kevlar gloves today. He was thinking about the nasty cut I gave myself a few weeks ago (you might remember the lovely pic I posted in a couple places).

These were really nice - they fit perfectly (no extra length of glove at the end of my finger) and did a fair job at keeping the chill off the hands, but no good in cold weather. I really like the price of these also, although he said he got his for less than $4 apiece by ordering them online in a pack of 10. I would think these little buggers would hold up pretty well with firewooding. Anyone use them?

Black Stallion AccuFlex Nitrile Composite Coated Kevlar Glove

I bought three pair in three different sizes this spring for the wife, daughter and myself at the fleet store that looked very similar (not sure if they were Kevlar?). I had around 10-cord of oak laying in the woodlot to split and the girls were helping some. The gloves are sort’a “sticky”, increasing grip and reducing hand strain. They were great handling the rounds and splits, but I didn’t like them for running a saw… too sticky for my liking. The gloves wouldn’t let my palms and fingers breath in warmer weather… when I’d take them off my hands would be all wrinkled like I’d soaked them in warm soapy water. I wore mine out but the girls still have theirs. I’d buy them again if, or when, I have a whole bunch to split (probably this spring again). They didn’t hold up any better, or any less than any other glove for me… I always wear the first hole through a finger about the third or fourth time I use them… don’t matter if’n they’re cheap or expensive.

I have used the Dyneema material gloves quite a bit, similar style to the Kevlar ones shown. From cutting/handling wood, to 4 wheeling, and sharpening the saw.

They are great. The gloves breathe extremely well and dry quickly when soaked. The fit is tight and form fitting so they can be used for small jobs. I have found the gription to be about just right. Not super tacky and not slick.

Here is a little explanation of the different fibers I found along with explanation of the cut ratings.

Cut Resistant Glove Selection and Use - Document #301 - EZ Facts Safety Info - Lab Safety Supply

A month ago while sharpening the saw, I re-arranged the fingerprint on my pointer finger. In a hurry and no gloves. Wreaked havoc on my biometric reader at work for a long while.....lol

Not a whole lot of kevlar in em, they'll stop an accidental swipe or two across something sharp, but they won't hold up to a deliberate cut or something with a lot of force (like a moving saw chain, etc.) I wear the same gloves at work handling steel parts fresh off the press (sharp edges everywhere), and I can hole em in an hour or two. They are great for handling wood as mentioned, a lot of grip to em.

For a somewhat colder weather version, look for the Frosty Grip gloves. I got mine at Northern Tool, just a heavier weight glove with the same dip on em. They work good till it gets below about 20°.

Overall, I like this style of glove better than about any other for firewood work. Spidey, I've got 3-4 different brands/styles layin around. Some have really lightweight cloth on em that breathes fairly decent. Give me some time to find em, and I'll post up the brand and style. Right now, I'm goin to put some hours on some saws.

Unk

I don't know if you are set on those gloves or not, but give ole Stumpy a holler. I see in his sig he has a account with Ahlborn Equipment, they have a ton of gloves, and I am sure they have something that will fit your needs, and they are pretty good prices too. Plus, you will be helping a member out who could use some buisness at this time.

Just a suggestion.

I wasn't really looking for new gloves - I just thought I'd give a review of the kevlar, since I was given a pair.

I prefer to use Wells Lamont that I get from Wal-Mart for about $10/pair. They breathe very well, have velcro fasteners around the wrist (no sawdust and junk inside) and fit close to the hand for detail work. Not terribly strong, but enough for my handyman work. I can make a pair last about a month. I'm pretty happy with them, even if they are a bit pricey.

benp, that website you posted is great. Very helpful. You related to slowp? :D

Thanks for the info on the Kevlar. Let us know how they hold up for you. I've been using Atlas gloves this year. I was able to cut, load, unload, split, and stack 7 truckloads (3/4 cord each) of green oak and hickory before they got so bad that I swapped them out for a new pair. They still had some life in them, but they did have holes, and since I had to do my cutting in the summer this year, they were stink'n pretty bad too. All in all, I've become a huge fan of them. We'll see how they hold up to the cold and wet this winter. My guess is that I'll want something a little different for my winter work, but we'll see.

Back