another grapple load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterc38

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Now that the weather has cooled off a little, I figured it's a good time to get some more cuttin' in. Got a grapple load delivered this past Thursday. This will keep me busy for a little while. It's mostly Maple with some Oak and Beech mixed in. These are about 24' long and 10-20" diameter.

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

You mind sharing where you are in Maine? Where I am, the same load (with ZERO oak and next to ZERO beech) is $880. The only advantage to the loads I get is they're cut to 8' lengths instead of your 24 footers.

My buddy paid $900 for a similar load so looks like you got a really good price. Edit, Located in Gorham, wood came from Loggers based out of Cornish but cutting in Gorham...

How do you guys go about about bucking the log loads? Any tips or tricks to quick bucking? Maybe a way that doesn't involve as much bending over. New to the firewood business and have a decent size log load ready to get bucked.

How do you guys go about about bucking the log loads? Any tips or tricks to quick bucking? Maybe a way that doesn't involve as much bending over. New to the firewood business and have a decent size log load ready to get bucked.

Not trying to be smart.......but one cut at a time....

I personally don't like cuting out of a pile. I like dropping the tree and bucking where it fell.

If bending over is a concern....perhaps you need to build a cutting platform.....

Some say a longer bar helps, tradeoff is balance and extra weight. Unless you got equipment to grapple and pick up each log for you, eventually you are going to encounter some logs on the ground which in most cases will require some bending over. Or as in most of our cases, almost all the logs are on the ground and require us to do what it takes. Cutting log length loads down to a one man handling size in order to lift and place on a saw buck seems impractical to me because at that point your almost done anyway.

Back