Another Husky 22 ton splitter question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG BEAM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I went to TSC today and was looking at the 22 ton splitter.The valve is spring loaded when the ram comes out and has a detent for reverse.My question is when the ram comes all the way back in reverse does it pop back into neutral automaticly?I asked the guy at TSC but he knew less than me.
DON

It depends...

If the hydraulic/atf fluid is warm, then it should.

If the hydraulic/atf fluid is fairly cold, sometimes no.

Sometimes doesn't detent...

I have one of those 22ton Speeco jobbies and over 75% of the time it won't stick in detent, I called and they have been having a few problems with the one they put on my model, and it is a non adjustable one. They would replace it if I wanted but I got used to drawing the ram back only so far as my wood anyways at about 14" to 16" long as I didn't want to wait to bring it back from fully retracted which is about 24" if I remember right. Other than that little defect everything else seems OK, I really like it so far.

However yes when it does work it pops back out into neutral.

I bought mine at the TSC and there was barely enough oil in the motor and the Hyd tank was em-p-tee, so you need to get a pail of that as well.

Thanks all,
Do most splitters have a valve like this one?I have to admit to being a novice when it comes to splitters(this is my first one).:rock:
DON

Last edited:
try running full throttle

I had a 2007 model 35 ton and was way more than I needed..but I like to buy one thing to last many years. So I went big. well thought..hmm conserve some fuel and engine noise..ran about 1/2-3/4 throttle and it wouldn't kick out all the time. no big deal..by the time it got back and struggled a few seconds..I was there with another round..If you read the manual..which I did with the new one..they say run full throttle all the time. Now I do and it works fine. cold hot. whatever. Keep your connections tight and make sure on TSC sales that your engine bolts are tight. Have heard a lot that say they are loose. I have tightened 2 leaky hoses and maybe run 10 hours on mine.

I bought mine this last summer and after a couple issues with the joylove connector it has been great I really, really put it through the paces for a homeowner I split some huge oak and ash, mostly ash though i'm sure it depends on the wood your splitting and whether its a straight peice or a crotch peice. I split about 12 to 14 full cords which for me in my situation is a bit of wood. Seems to be really good on gas and some days I ran it full bore for a couple few hrs. at a time through the day no problems. I changed the oil after the first 3-5 hrs. as recommended and intend on keeping up on the maintenance. Hopefully with some TLC it will be all I need for a long time. I gotta admit I was ready to give up after the second lovejoy went after just a couple of hrs. again I paid a place the difference to put a "real" lovejoy on it warranty covered the rest and it was worth every penny!! Hope it helps some. irishcountry

My 22 ton Husky splitter has the same problem. Valve handle won't stay in the up/retract position on its own most of the time. Mine is 5 years old and never worked from the time I bought it.

I called about it after i bought the splitter and they would have sent me a new one but I would have had to return the old one. I ended up just using as is since I don't use it every day. Thats the only complaint I have.

Latest posts

Back