Another Load Dropped off June 2013 (Pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Finally cleared out last years load and from March this year. Excited to have this guy bring me more. First time using this guy. He kept saying I'm doing him a favor.

I'm just a guy on 1/2 acre living in an overpopulated area. Wish I had more room since this stuff is always free.

He said there's Smooth Hickory, something else Hickory, Sugar Maple, & Maple. I thought the Sugar Maple was Ash at first. Accepted either way. In fact prefer the sugar over Ash

IMAG0949_zps93c45f73.jpg

IMAG0950_zpsd452bb76.jpg

IMAG0951_zps98ca44b7.jpg

IMAG0952_zps001509c2.jpg

The only shady peice is this one. I hope there's no ants in it!

IMAG0953_zpsfa474ac4.jpg

That shaggybark is great wood! Split the outside bark pieces off as soon as possible. You can slab them off real thin like if you are cool about it. Freeking bugs love shagbark, it is dee-licious to them same as it is to us smoking meat with that wood. And that bark holds moisture in. The faster the wood dries, the less bugs. Snag you out some of that inner dense juicy heart wood and use it grilling/smoking.

Well, the guy is doing you a favor, if you can, just start moving wood! Get it split and sold someplace, keep leaving room for more deliveries.

Nice. I wish someone would dump free logs in my yard. I pay $150 a cord for logs. I guess climate dictates the market. Hard to believe the guy can't sell the stuff to someone.

Thanks guys and for the advice. Maybe I'll use the shags for kindling.

I found out the reason all arborists drop for free around here is

1. We live in a very woodsy area (Its CT) so there's always business to take down trees somewhere
2. They dont care about manual labor and selling a cord for just $200 when they are making $2000 taking down a tree.
3. They get charged at the dump for dumping the wood
4. They like to have someone local instead of driving to a mill or something

The unfortunet thing is I live in a residential area and by law I can only sell 20 cords a year. I wish I had more room and able to just split and sell. I already have 10 repeating customers and 20 clients I sold to. We'll see what happens

Sweet score there!:rock: Sugar maple and shagbark hickory are two of the best!!
Hard to believe that the powers-that-be in your area would rather see that in a dump than in a woodstove.:msp_confused:

Thanks guys and for the advice. Maybe I'll use the shags for kindling.

I found out the reason all arborists drop for free around here is

1. We live in a very woodsy area (Its CT) so there's always business to take down trees somewhere
2. They dont care about manual labor and selling a cord for just $200 when they are making $2000 taking down a tree.
3. They get charged at the dump for dumping the wood
4. They like to have someone local instead of driving to a mill or something

The unfortunet thing is I live in a residential area and by law I can only sell 20 cords a year. I wish I had more room and able to just split and sell. I already have 10 repeating customers and 20 clients I sold to. We'll see what happens

Sounds like it might be time to move.

I'd LOVE to be doing somebody a favor like that. Grapple loads cost me $100/cord, which is still way better than $250/cord for allegedly "seasoned" wood.

While I can see how the cord limit is a bit too strict...the fact that he's in a densely populated area is why he's getting free wood in the first place.

Something that really amazes me is a lot of the time where there's lots of trees around, wood actually costs quite a bit of money and free wood which can be scavenged in scarce.

When wood is a crop and money is to be made from the harvested products...it will be comparatively expensive.

When labor is the main expense and trees are being removed from yards where there are obstacles the value of the wood is all but negligible most of the time...

Connecticut is the extreme of this because it's not a particularly large state--figure about 2 hours wide by 1 hour tall...and at the far east and north west corners you'll have logging, and then in lots of areas you have suburbs for one city or another. Things are complicated now because of EAB and some quarantines but it surprises me, at least for firewood purposes, how more of the suburban wood doesn't make its way up the the more rural areas where people are paying money to have wood harvested.

I'll give you another example: in the suburbs just north of NYC it costs upwards of $15 a yard to get rid of wood chips. Clean wood chips. In NW CT, say an hour and a half away from there, a mulch/wood processor will take the wood chips for free. 1-2 hours north into western massachusetts and vermont there are loggers cutting down trees and running them through whole tree chippers to make chips for wood chip fired power plants...

It's all about what's in demand right where you are.

The unfortunet thing is I live in a residential area and by law I can only sell 20 cords a year.

Seriously. I can't believe there are such laws. Do they enforce this? If you are friends with your neighbor, maybe he could sell 20 more cord for you, and the neighbor on the other side another 20. :msp_biggrin: Anyhow, if he dumps more than you can take, maybe you could pass the extra to a fellow AS member, if you know what I mean. No sense in taking hickory (or any other good fire wood) to the dump.

It's not just the locals

In CT if you sell more than 25 cord a year, by law you and / or your operation are considered a commercial enterprise and must register with the State. Not many small guys do, however if a customer that feels you've done them wrong turns you in, well just like Lucy, "you gots lots of splaining to do". Registering with the State is no biggie but the restrictions and regulations that come along with the honor must be taken into consideration.

Also as a heads up, be sure to carry the CT Self-Declaration with you when delivering, or if it's a customer pick up be sure to give them the form with the load. If they choose to fill it out that's up to them, but fair warning, the local State Forester told me there will be more aggressive enforcement of the self declaration and wood transport regs. this year. When your supplier drops off, if you plan on reselling I strongly urge you to get info on where the wood came from.

Oh and by the way, congrats on the score.

Take Care

Sweet score there!:rock: Sugar maple and shagbark hickory are two of the best!!
Hard to believe that the powers-that-be in your area would rather see that in a dump than in a woodstove.:msp_confused:

Yeah, I'm excited for the Sugar Maple (I had Hickory before and like it too) I'm keeping that stuff for me for next yrs burn I guess. Some tree guys do keep them for their own wood stoves but as we know, a few trees is good for 1 winter.

Had the itch for 6yrs now. This property was supposed to be a flip but wife & I enjoyed the fix up we did and the overall area. She works in Greenwich so it's hard to move further north now. Traffic is EXTREMELY horrendous. Rated #5 wasted hours in the whole country. Its like your trapped in your own town at times. In fact just 2 days ago I had to turn around because I noticed the otherside was packed at 3:30pm and I had to cancel my plans.

While I can see how the cord limit is a bit too strict...the fact that he's in a densely populated area is why he's getting free wood in the first place.

I'll give you another example: in the suburbs just north of NYC it costs upwards of $15 a yard to get rid of wood chips. Clean wood chips. In NW CT, say an hour and a half away from there, a mulch/wood processor will take the wood chips for free. 1-2 hours north into western massachusetts and vermont there are loggers cutting down trees and running them through whole tree chippers to make chips for wood chip fired power plants...

Great post all around. True stuff.

In CT if you sell more than 25 cord a year, by law you and / or your operation are considered a commercial enterprise and must register with the State. .

Yes, its 25, thanks. Thats the thing, I dont want it looking like a commercial lot. Last thing I want is neighbors to see trucks in and out and a constant flow of wood. Good info you shared. Thanks. My wife works for a lawfirm and this is how I found all this out. What funny is, in this residental Neighborhood here about 70% of us have logs or split wood on the property. Just on my street alone 7 out of 11 homes have tree guys dump logs. (they give away but dont sell and only get 2-3 dumps a year.

Not necessary but just measured 16-17" widths ready to cut. Nice and small. I might go outside the line a bit to get 17-18" instead.

IMAG0954_zps9fb50b26.jpg

Something that really amazes me is a lot of the time where there's lots of trees around, wood actually costs quite a bit of money and free wood which can be scavenged in scarce.

When wood is a crop and money is to be made from the harvested products...it will be comparatively expensive.

When labor is the main expense and trees are being removed from yards where there are obstacles the value of the wood is all but negligible most of the time...

Connecticut is the extreme of this because it's not a particularly large state--figure about 2 hours wide by 1 hour tall...and at the far east and north west corners you'll have logging, and then in lots of areas you have suburbs for one city or another. Things are complicated now because of EAB and some quarantines but it surprises me, at least for firewood purposes, how more of the suburban wood doesn't make its way up the the more rural areas where people are paying money to have wood harvested.

"Connecticut is the extreme of this because it's not a particularly large state--figure about 2 hours wide by 1 hour tall"

HAHAH i dont know if its just a new england thing, but i have family in the south, and they think its weird that we measure distance in time :laugh: makes perfect sence to me though

"Connecticut is the extreme of this because it's not a particularly large state--figure about 2 hours wide by 1 hour tall"

HAHAH i dont know if its just a new england thing, but i have family in the south, and they think its weird that we measure distance in time :laugh: makes perfect sence to me though

To me miles don't really mean too much. Especially when you get up into northern new england. A lot of the time what would be a 1.5 hour drive with a good beeline interstate becomes a 4 hour drive because it's one curved road after another. All about the time.

Take care of that guy a case of beer goes a long way....
Nice score, whore up as much as you can get... Wood is like beer can't ever have to much...:rock:

Before the Tropical downpours coming next couple days I figure I clear some some out. Chain dulled out so the rest will have to wait now.

Seperating the Sugar with the Hickory. :). You guys think I should seperate the Smooth with the Shag? Do they burn much differently?

IMAG0959_zpsa114dc82.jpg

Latest posts

Back