Another Load Dropped off June 2013 (Pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Haul..
Shagbark Hickory burns awesome, lot's of heat, my favorite..

Nice score! :rock: I like that truck that the guy that dropped off the logs for you has.

Great Haul..
Shagbark Hickory burns awesome, lot's of heat, my favorite..
:agree2:I've cut and split a good bit of shagbark hickory, and it is awesome to burn. Good score, all mine has cost me, great supplier with good pricing, but it still costs.

Adam.

Thanks for the reply guys. So I had a different guy call me today and said he had a truck full of logs..... I said sure come on over! lol

Maple drop off....and already halved. Free! I wish I had a bigger lot. I got a lot of work ahead of me but I think I'm done getting drop offs until Fall. You can see in the second picture I'm not in a commercial zone but my wood is set back and hidden enough..

IMAG1130_zpsf361c20a.jpg

IMAG1131_zps6f01059f.jpg

Hmmm, after looking closer and after learning that Sugar Maple has brown on the bark now I question what this latest drop is.

Does it look like Sugar Maple? It doesnt look like Silver Maple or Red Maple. Then again maybe it does.

IMAG1133_zpsa457c5c3.jpg

IMAG1134_zps26f6343a.jpg

IMAG1132_zps661ece96.jpg

July 2nd I had a tree guy call me. Said he needs a place to drop off. Maple. I sent him across the street. My neighbor loved it.

July 3rd another tree guy that usually drops off said he has some logs he wants to drop off. Asked him what it was. Black Birch. I said, COME ON OVER!! LOL. Here's what he dropped. Said he has Cherry too. He's bringing that next week. (I'll have to throw him some dinner money)

IMAG1539_BURST002_zpsff162811.jpg

So I have Shag Hickory, Smooth Hickory, Sugar Maple, Black Birch, & Cherry waiting to be split. Probably the best pile of logs I had at once. Planning on them being my 2014-15' burn.

I got in the mood to split some today even though its 91°F with dewpoint over 70°! After this piece I called it quits.. :msp_ohmy:

IMAG1544_BURST002_zps60164d9c.jpg

Yeah, I'm excited for the Sugar Maple (I had Hickory before and like it too) I'm keeping that stuff for me for next yrs burn I guess. Some tree guys do keep them for their own wood stoves but as we know, a few trees is good for 1 winter.

Had the itch for 6yrs now. This property was supposed to be a flip but wife & I enjoyed the fix up we did and the overall area. She works in Greenwich so it's hard to move further north now. Traffic is EXTREMELY horrendous. Rated #5 wasted hours in the whole country. Its like your trapped in your own town at times. In fact just 2 days ago I had to turn around because I noticed the otherside was packed at 3:30pm and I had to cancel my plans.

Great post all around. True stuff.

Yes, its 25, thanks. Thats the thing, I dont want it looking like a commercial lot. Last thing I want is neighbors to see trucks in and out and a constant flow of wood. Good info you shared. Thanks. My wife works for a lawfirm and this is how I found all this out. What funny is, in this residental Neighborhood here about 70% of us have logs or split wood on the property. Just on my street alone 7 out of 11 homes have tree guys dump logs. (they give away but dont sell and only get 2-3 dumps a year.

Funny story, beating the man at his own game!

buddy of mine back in metro atlanta wanted to put up a six or eight foot privacy fence, he fronted on a major four lane in town heavily trafficed road, nasty traffic all day and night long sometimes.

so, he starts putting it up, some inspector nailed him, told him it won't pass code..take it down.

He doesn't want like a joke 2 or 3 foot fence, he wants something suitable, plus..just wanted to beat the man..

he researches some..no restrictions on lawns or mulch! Idea! Contacts tree services, says he will take chips, and lots of 'em!

Load after load after load after load he takes, has them construct a literal mountain wall of chips, plenty high, as high as they can, easily what he wanted, and strategically dump a dogleg in for his driveway. He now has a good noise and visual barrier "fence" like he wanted, for basically free! It's cool looking, too, I went over and climbed all over it. Then he grabs some bags of grass seed, sprinkles it all over, next rain it comes up and starts growing. Nice green mountain wall now... City goes apesquat, claimed he was violating code again, he goes, let's go to court. In court, representing himself, demands to see the actual code violation..they can't find a single thing restricting *how much* landscaping mulch you can spread on your property, judge goes, "city, you gots no case.." he wins! HAHAHAHA!

Load after load after load after load he takes, has them construct a literal mountain wall of chips, plenty high, as high as they can, easily what he wanted, and strategically dump a dogleg in for his driveway. He now has a good noise and visual barrier "fence" like he wanted, for basically free! It's cool looking, too, I went over and climbed all over it. Then he grabs some bags of grass seed, sprinkles it all over, next rain it comes up and starts growing. Nice green mountain wall now... City goes apesquat, claimed he was violating code again, he goes, let's go to court. In court, representing himself, demands to see the actual code violation..they can't find a single thing restricting *how much* landscaping mulch you can spread on your property, judge goes, "city, you gots no case.." he wins! HAHAHAHA![/QUOTE]

what would have been even better,,if he could have somehow,,mixed a bit of crete with the chips, make the wall about two feet wide,,straight up!!!!then throw the grass seed on it!! nice fence,,and wouldn't have taken up so much room...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Another load dropped off today. Cherry!
I started halving the Birch yesterday..

I got Black Birch, Hickory, Sugar Maple, and now Cherry to split.

BQdC7H_CIAA3FPQ.jpg:large

IMAG1921.jpg

20 cord limit? No problem! Just do like the government does. You are not selling firewood you are selling the experience to see how the old timers heated their homes, and graciously giving them the opportunity to have history hands on, as well as the experience of hauling wood to and from the stove! It's educational so you might even get tax free or a break on the tax's.

Finally cleared out last years load and from March this year. Excited to have this guy bring me more. First time using this guy. He kept saying I'm doing him a favor.

I'm just a guy on 1/2 acre living in an overpopulated area. Wish I had more room since this stuff is always free.

He said there's Smooth Hickory, something else Hickory, Sugar Maple, & Maple. I thought the Sugar Maple was Ash at first. Accepted either way. In fact prefer the sugar over Ash

IMAG0949_zps93c45f73.jpg

IMAG0950_zpsd452bb76.jpg

IMAG0951_zps98ca44b7.jpg

IMAG0952_zps001509c2.jpg

The only shady peice is this one. I hope there's no ants in it!

IMAG0953_zpsfa474ac4.jpg

I wish I had tree guys around me like that. All the tree guys around me say no before I even finish asking them. All the big tree companies around me most of the time go to the mulching place and it doesn't seem like they mind paying to dump cause the mulch piles are bigger then ever.

Back