Another Mill Bites The Dust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So lets get this straight ... some greenies.....whined and got federal timber lands closed up for owls and salmon...hmmm ok. Sooo people with families and mouths to feed need only apply to unemployment. Which in turn puts a heavier load on taxpayers, some of all 3 categories, the greenies and unemployed and taxpayers are greenies...... Sooooo in turn the greenies got those families at that mill unemployed (either directly or indirectly). At which point will there ever be a true balance between conservation and logging. I had a fellow from just down the road of my job stop and ask me about some muddy water getting into the creek. I politely replied that I put up silt fence as per the DEC rules and regs and that more crap and dirt and what not gets washed into that creek everytime it rains than what I am doing. At any rate after a 5 minute debate he drove off in a huff and I went back to work. I dont even really know where I am going with this now. Just chuffed I guess. People need to work and make a living and that is steadily being taken from them day by day. I cut trees for a living, and the guy with oak flooring and cherry molding and maple cabinets wants to call me an ###hole and a butcher.

So lets get this straight ... some greenies.....whined and got federal timber lands closed up for owls and salmon...hmmm ok. Sooo people with families and mouths to feed need only apply to unemployment. Which in turn puts a heavier load on taxpayers, some of all 3 categories, the greenies and unemployed and taxpayers are greenies...... Sooooo in turn the greenies got those families at that mill unemployed (either directly or indirectly). At which point will there ever be a true balance between conservation and logging. I had a fellow from just down the road of my job stop and ask me about some muddy water getting into the creek. I politely replied that I put up silt fence as per the DEC rules and regs and that more crap and dirt and what not gets washed into that creek everytime it rains than what I am doing. At any rate after a 5 minute debate he drove off in a huff and I went back to work. I dont even really know where I am going with this now. Just chuffed I guess. People need to work and make a living and that is steadily being taken from them day by day. I cut trees for a living, and the guy with oak flooring and cherry molding and maple cabinets wants to call me an ###hole and a butcher.

heck of a plan isnt it.

That mill has come and gone a few time thru the years. Could be it his time.We have set them Pine from clear down here.

That's not good! I lost my mill job in September 1991! I worked at Astoria Plywood Corp. I started working there while I was still in high school. I was stockholder there. My bid job was the green chain, but I was handy man, too. Between DEQ and the Spotted Owl we didn't have a chance. So I can relate! I had spotted owl nightmares for long time... The schooling wasn't there yet, for us! Good bye to those 6ft+ fir peelers forever! 036Pro:bang:

here goes our mill.
attachment.php

we just lost another here in the last year also ,its almost all demoed now

Pen Ply

we just lost another here in the last year also ,its almost all demoed now
I think Pen Ply would of made it, if they could of held on for 6 more months! The plywood business rebounded the following year. Still going strong, today. The management did things pretty good. They had lost a big big bid . From what I heard-to a very very low bid. This was to eliminate them as competition! I am sure DEQ also got involved! The city also wanted the mill site to be converted to a tourist attraction. Tourism does pay the bills, but... :bang::bang:

PenPly's Wild Ride Ends in Fatal Crash

I don't believe there are any of the old time long term mills left in the Port Angeles area. Crown Z, Rayonier, Penply, M&R Timber + all the Mom & Pop shake mills. Crown Z I believe is still there, but I think has changed hands a couple of times in the last 30 years. I just don't see that tourism can replace all the timber industry that "used" to be there.. I know Crown Z cut the last of their timber holdings in 78-80, and just moved on. They still had a fair amount of OG around Lake Ozette at the time.

I don't believe there are any of the old time long term mills left in the Port Angeles area. Crown Z, Rayonier, Penply, M&R Timber + all the Mom & Pop shake mills. Crown Z I believe is still there, but I think has changed hands a couple of times in the last 30 years. I just don't see that tourism can replace all the timber industry that "used" to be there.. I know Crown Z cut the last of their timber holdings in 78-80, and just moved on. They still had a fair amount of OG around Lake Ozette at the time.

You are absolutely correct! Last April I attended the Washington State Society of American Foresters annual meeting in Port Angeles. The meeting revolved around the Wild Olympics Campaign. Their statement that jobs lost in the timber and milling industry would be made up by tourist jobs was completely shot down. The Port of Port Angeles commissioners had a study conducted by the UW. The study revealed, as anyone with a brain could figure out, that tourist jobs would not be equal to timber jobs. One of the commissioners spoke about the results of the study. They even had the Wild Olympics Campaign come and speak. I think they felt a little foolish after hearing all of the information in opposition to their agenda.

Wes

You are absolutely correct! Last April I attended the Washington State Society of American Foresters annual meeting in Port Angeles. The meeting revolved around the Wild Olympics Campaign. Their statement that jobs lost in the timber and milling industry would be made up by tourist jobs was completely shot down. The Port of Port Angeles commissioners had a study conducted by the UW. The study revealed, as anyone with a brain could figure out, that tourist jobs would not be equal to timber jobs. One of the commissioners spoke about the results of the study. They even had the Wild Olympics Campaign come and speak. I think they felt a little foolish after hearing all of the information in opposition to their agenda.

Wes

I agree with you 100%! Tourism didn't help my situation back in '91! I think the town of Astoria became a tourist town even though... Well good for them... I have long since moved on... I think the same is going to happen to Port Angles some day in the future. Lets also look at Oregon City- the Blue Heron Paper Company . It sounds like it has closed now. Oregon City has had a plan for a tourist hot spot right where the mill sight is. I saw the plans many many years a go. The workers and their families will suffer the most and be the first to feel this!:( Changing times really suck...:bang: Bad all the way round for a long time!!!!:msp_confused:

Latest posts

Back