Another Mill Bites The Dust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing with tourism is you are relying on other people to come to you with disposable income. With timber products you are making and selling a needed item. Sure the need goes up and down, but in the end you are adding to the wealth of the nation by turning a raw resource into a useable product. With tourism you are hoping that somewhere else someone else made a little extra and that they will pick your little corner of the globe to visit and spend money. Tourism studies have found that many places spend more promoting themselves as a tourist spot than they bring in from tourism. It is a sham, a pipe dream, sold by people who think the whole world should be a park for them to play in.

Mr. HE:cool:

That's the old Crown Z Mill Right? Haven't been back to PA since we sold our place west of town several years ago.

Nippon is the paper mill on ediz hook,interfor is on hwy 101 west of port angeles,its not very old ,it does plywood and lumber

yea I feel bad for you guys timber industry not as big over here but here what happened a few years ago we had 3 large pine mills in the space of 3 years 2 were bought by the 3rd and dismantled now they've cut the price by 50% ouch! monopoly :angry: this seems to be a trend I can't help but wonder were it will all end will there really be no logging in this country one day? or will it all be done by some giant conglomerate maybe the govm't we all work for them stand in line for cheese bread or this country get lumber imported pay for it with what? no one will have a job no money......i'll stop ranting now :bang:

The thing with tourism is you are relying on other people to come to you with disposable income. With timber products you are making and selling a needed item. Sure the need goes up and down, but in the end you are adding to the wealth of the nation by turning a raw resource into a useable product. With tourism you are hoping that somewhere else someone else made a little extra and that they will pick your little corner of the globe to visit and spend money. Tourism studies have found that many places spend more promoting themselves as a tourist spot than they bring in from tourism. It is a sham, a pipe dream, sold by people who think the whole world should be a park for them to play in.

Mr. HE:cool:

Well said.

Well said.

I agree totally 110%!!!:agree2: I just wonder how many Plywood mills are still running in Oregon, Washington, & Idaho? Or hear from someone who works in a mill? Thanks!

Last edited:
Pope & Talbot Plywood Mill at Kalama Washington

Here is link to video; Pope & Talbot - YouTube It is the old Pope & Talbot Plywood Mill at Kalama Washington in 1976. It is smaller than the mill I worked at, but similar in ways!! Enjoy!

Back