Another MS-260...Another scored piston and cylinder.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
At work I pulled out an MS-260 Pro we deemed DOA a while back, 60psi compression wet...decomp popped out.

I removed the muffler, carb, and undid the intake boot, took the 4 screws out of the cylinder, and slid off the jug. I then ran a brake cylinder hone down the cylinder to remove the nastiness.

The piston was really bad, rings were not stuck however. I cleaned it up on the wire wheel, then put it in a vise and ran some fine sandpaper over the skirts and up around the top to try and tame some of the worst ridges....however I still ended up hitting the skirts with the surface prep sander just a little.

Put the rings back on, the base gasket was still good. Put the cylidner back on, etc...125psi cold and dry...140 wet.

I got it to start but it was having trouble tuning in, it would idle okay walking out to the pile...if I gave it throttle at the pile it woulkd instantly die, and was very hard to refire. I cleaned the carb, it was better, but now idled high even with the shutter closed completely. Impulse looked good, fuel line looked good, I sprayed some Brake cleaner around the cylinder base and nothinf changed, same with the carb boot..it just idled high, the lowest I could get it, it was still tuning the chain.

After tearing it down 3 times, the base gasket went away..I used some comound...compression jumped to 150 wet and warm, saw was still hard to start, has great power in the cut with 20" of .325 chain, but will not idle at all, then suddenly will want to die, than i hard to start again, sometimes it will want to idle though....It got confusing after a few hours.

Also, it had this gnarly death rattle whenever it ran,,,sounded like a tin can caught in the flywheel, got worst as time went on.

Im attributing most of these problems to a very loose piston and worn out rings, cylinder is still grooved in spots...

I can get a Forester Pro 026 P/C kit for like 65 dollars....or a Baileys kit for about 95 dollars.

Or I can sell my soul and firstborn son and buy OEM Stihl parts..

The saw is in 9/10 condtion on the outside, rod and crank look good, bar and chain look barely used...

Think it's worth it to try the Forester Pro kit..?

Lets call this the econo-build up...:clap:

.. . . . . . . . .
jpshakehead.gif

. . . . . . . .
slap.gif

Never used the Forester kits so I can't say but I've not really been to impressed with any of the aftermarket stuff....

Sell off some of that junk to fund the factory parts and do it right the first time. ;)

If you gotta go aftermarket go Tecomech (sp?) IMO

Red being the great tech you claim to be ....Did you figure out the problem with the saw before you N-rigged it together........It sounds like your that poors saws worst nightmare.....:buttkick:

I offered Red a new OEM P&C at a heck of price a year ago.... :monkey:

Forester isn't making the P&C.. just re-selling the same of chinese junk most others are.

Last edited:

Forester ins't making the P&C.. just re-selling the same of chinese junk most others are.

Andy .....We need to understand who were dealing with here.....The great Red..............Its going to be Stihl's fault that he isnt smat enough to figure out the cause in the first place.....

Red being the great tech you claim to be ....Did you figure out the problem with the saw before you N-rigged it together........It sounds like your that poors saws worst nightmare.....:buttkick:

The saw wouldnt run to do much diagnostic work, The saw had straight gas in it when it came in a while back, so I know what caused it to die the last time it ran..haha

I did what I did to this Stihl, that I did to my Husky 350, and I was at about 160 dry and cold, starts on 2-3 pulls from sitting for a few months, idles and runs like a top, I split some old oak rounds yesterday after using it to level the and prune the Chrismtas tree.

I was just seeing if I could get lucky with the Stihl and clean up the piston and cylinder...

If it wasnt for me, the saw would be in the dumpster...so I guess Im not too bad for it.

Forester ins't making the P&C.. just re-selling the same of chinese junk most others are.

I remember that, had 2 other people offer similar parts...Im just not into that sort of thing.

If I needed the saw, Id buy new OEM parts and do it...but i dont need the saw, so Im looking for the cheapest way to get it running. It may be used once, twice a year for firewood...like the rest of em..:(

yep........ been there done that also. :cheers:

I even offered up a ported cylinder.... AND THE LABOR TO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER FOR HIM!!!!

FOR FREE!!!! no less..... all he had to do was pay the shipping. :dizzy:

Red's game is simple. He has no intention of fixing any Stihl. For one, hes an idiot. Two, he likes making the stupid (probably BS) threads because he gets his little kid jollies off bashing Stihl saws in this fashion. I offered him a new P/C as well, and nothing. Im fine with him running the junk he owns, because if he actually owned a real, powerful saw he would probably get himself hurt. He needs to stick to his Echos. Yes they are reliable, and severely underpowered for the most part.

If you dont like my post...TOO BAD!

I think its called a Presidental Solution starting January 2009.

Red's game is simple. He has no intention of fixing any Stihl. For one, hes an idiot. Two, he likes making the stupid (probably BS) threads because he gets his little kid jollies off bashing Stihl saws in this fashion. I offered him a new P/C as well, and nothing. Im fine with him running the junk he owns, because if he actually owned a real, powerful saw he would probably get himself hurt. He needs to stick to his Echos. Yes they are reliable, and severely underpowered for the most part.

quit playing games.
why don't you say how you really feel?
let it all out. it's part of the healing process.... wheres dr. joat?
:popcorn:

You fail.

I fix alot of Stihls, I get paid good money to fix Stihls. I dont beleive Ive bashed anything or anyone in this thread, In fact you are the only one doing any bashing. You say I get my "little mid jollies off" bashing stihl...then you go and call me an idiot. Who is more childish? Name calling, now lets be adults about this.

I dont want new stihl parts...I dont want to send the saw(s) off and have someone else work on it, I dont want used parts, I want to do it myself, I want to buy parts and put them on, and use the saw. Ive got alot of irons in the fire, and sad to say these damn saws arent anywhere near the front burner, it just happened I was bored today and business was dead slow. I tried to luck my way into a good running saw, it didnt work this time.

You guys...you run across a saw like this one, you bring it home, you rip off the cylinder, take off the piston, split the case halves..clean it up, have it powdercoated, put in 500 dollars worth of new parts, piston, cylinder, rings, hardware, hoses, bar and chain, decals, etc..you put it on a mantle and brag on it...

I come across the same saw...and I say, I wonder how little I can make this saw useful for. I clean it up, I mean spotless. Find out if it can be salvaged as is, if it cant...I remove the parts I absolutely cannot use..put it all back together, put it in a sealed bag and put it in my shed for when I get the time and money to work on it.

As I come across things, I will buy the parts, put them together, and fix things..But as Ive said a hundred times before, I have no trees. idont have access to trees. I have about 30 saws, and no trees. Not even a little one...I just like saws, working on them and running them.

Latest posts

Back