Another MS-260...Another scored piston and cylinder.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You fail.

I dont want new stihl parts...I dont want to send the saw(s) off and have someone else work on it, I dont want used parts, I want to do it myself, I want to buy parts and put them on, and use the saw. .

I'm very confused...

What parts are neither new or used?

I'm very confused...

What parts are neither new or used?

I believe Stihl is very unreasonable when it comes to some parts, specifically consumable parts like pistons, rings, and cylinders. If I dont have to give stihl my money, I just really dont want to.

A NEW aftermarket kit is priced fairly at under 100 dollars, and for what I do, probably would take 5 years to even get broken in.

So.. how are you going to USE a saw without wood? hmmm...:greenchainsaw:

Exactly my point. I dont use them. Typically buy 2 cords of split oak a year...sometimes I have to half some larger peices, or shorten some of them to fit right in the fireplace.

Earlier this year I went out in search of my own wood...we all know how that ended up. Crappy filthy wood, most of it was 2-3 foot across, or more..ground was all torn up...I was stuck with leftovers.

But in the even a forest suddenly springs up in my backyard...I want to be prepared.:chainsaw:

You fail.

I fix alot of Stihls, I get paid good money to fix Stihls. I dont beleive Ive bashed anything or anyone in this thread, In fact you are the only one doing any bashing. You say I get my "little mid jollies off" bashing stihl...then you go and call me an idiot. Who is more childish? Name calling, now lets be adults about this.
You guys...you run across a saw like this one, you bring it home, you rip off the cylinder, take off the piston, split the case halves..clean it up, have it powdercoated, put in 500 dollars worth of new parts, piston, cylinder, rings, hardware, hoses, bar and chain, decals, etc..you put it on a mantle and brag on it...

Naww, you fail. 500 dollars?...try 60 in the 026 i just fixed and sold. Runs like a top. Yep, replaced the piston, (new OEM, ya have to know a few people).

On a mantle? I just talked to the guy I sold it to a few minutes ago. He cut 2 cords of hedge today with it, and other than having to swap chains and refuel, he is happy as hell with it. This saw will see more use this winter than any of yours ever will.

I may brag a little, and thats a good thing. I clean and preen my saws, damn right. I paid good money for them, and I take care of them. But make no mistake, I use them hard every weekend, and a lot during the week . They have to earn their keep like any tool. Stihl is the only brand worthy of keeping in my opinion due to rugged construction and longevity.You have to PAY for quality Red.

Red,,,

From what you described,,,, it does sound like you have some some sort of air leak,,, or perhaps a leaking check/power valve in the carb,,,,,,, from the description of what you did to the piston and cylinder to remove the aluminum xfer,,,,,,:monkey: some worn out parts with the piston slap/rattling as stated !!!!!!

Just curious,,,,,while you had it torn down did you check/inspect the rod bearings for excessive wear/end play or the crank/bearings/seals for run out/tears????????

Don't let the Stihlheads get you riled,,,,,,,

It does seem strange that one would refuse the friendly offers that others in good faith/kindness have made,,,,,, with good OEM parts,,,,:monkey: that would make it a good runner???????????:monkey:

Hope it all works out for you,,,,,,,

Last edited:
Hell Red, I would just toss the POS in the dumpster, or better yet part it out and sell it on Ebay, and then delete this thread. I thought you would have learned by now.:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Last edited:
I think you should send that POS to me, postage free. That would get it off your hands; and, give me something to do during deer season, being as I can't cut wood, unless I want buckshot in my shorts. :cheers:

Red,,,

From what you described,,,, it does sound like you have some some sort of air leak,,, or perhaps a leaking check/power valve in the carb,,,,,,, from the description of what you did to the piston and cylinder to remove the aluminum xfer,,,,,,:monkey: some worn out parts with the piston slap/rattling as stated !!!!!!

Just curious,,,,,while you had it torn down did you check/inspect the rod bearings for excessive wear/end play or the crank/bearings/seals for run out/tears????????

Don't let the Stihlheads get you riled,,,,,,,

It does seem strange that one would refuse the friendly offers that others in good faith/kindness have made,,,,,, with good OEM parts,,,,:monkey: that would make it a good runner???????????:monkey:

Hope it all works out for you,,,,,,,

Ya, the Bottom end looked great, no slop in anything, I cleaned it out, lubed it all up...It was turning a touch over 15,000 when I tached it last, and that tinny noise was very pronounced. The piston is loose in the bore, I know Im getting piston rock and slap..Surprised it didnt hook a port and come apart, especially with the bar buried in seasoned oak, running full load.

I really appreciate the Kind offers people have made, I just have always had a problem with reacting to kindness, I dont know why..My immediate reaction so someone offering me something is to run the other direction. Its kinda like I feel pressured to take a certain route when someone offers me something, if that sounds right?

The kicker is, If I dropped 200 bucks on it tonight...got the parts overnighted to my door, put them on...it would be test fired..fuel drained, and put in the shed where it will sit for an unknown period of time..

On a side note- I lucked out today putting the circlip back in that thing. I had it half engaged in the groove, I blinked and it was gone. I searched high and low, cleaned everything, ran a magnet all over the place I finally gave up and decided to clean the saw up, Id order a new set of clips later. Found the dang clip stuck to the flywheel magnet.:censored:

Red being the great tech you claim to be ....Did you figure out the problem with the saw before you N-rigged it together........It sounds like your that poors saws worst nightmare.....:buttkick:

I agree with you, not much of a tech but I guess he's learning:)

Red's game is simple. He has no intention of fixing any Stihl. For one, hes an idiot. Two, he likes making the stupid (probably BS) threads because he gets his little kid jollies off bashing Stihl saws in this fashion. I offered him a new P/C as well, and nothing. Im fine with him running the junk he owns, because if he actually owned a real, powerful saw he would probably get himself hurt. He needs to stick to his Echos. Yes they are reliable, and severely underpowered for the most part.

If you dont like my post...TOO BAD!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ya, the Bottom end looked great, no slop in anything, I cleaned it out, lubed it all up...It was turning a touch over 15,000 when I tached it last, and that tinny noise was very pronounced. The piston is loose in the bore, I know Im getting piston rock and slap..Surprised it didnt hook a port and come apart, especially with the bar buried in seasoned oak, running full load.

I really appreciate the Kind offers people have made, I just have always had a problem with reacting to kindness, I dont know why..My immediate reaction so someone offering me something is to run the other direction. Its kinda like I feel pressured to take a certain route when someone offers me something, if that sounds right?

The kicker is, If I dropped 200 bucks on it tonight...got the parts overnighted to my door, put them on...it would be test fired..fuel drained, and put in the shed where it will sit for an unknown period of time..

On a side note- I lucked out today putting the circlip back in that thing. I had it half engaged in the groove, I blinked and it was gone. I searched high and low, cleaned everything, ran a magnet all over the place I finally gave up and decided to clean the saw up, Id order a new set of clips later. Found the dang clip stuck to the flywheel magnet.:censored:

See, now you have come clean and I have a better understanding of your personality. What you need to understand is that there are a lot of people on here that offer help who are genuine. Give it a try.............

Latest posts

Back