Another MS-260...Another scored piston and cylinder.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red did yours look like this one..

Look closely at this 026. Yup its in need of a cylinder and psiton but look at it real close and you'll notice something different about this saw. I'll give you a hint, its in your name(Red)

attachment.php

By the way, this saw is a left behind freebie. I will do the cylinder/piston, seals and anything else I find as I go through it. All will be OEM parts. Its the best way to do it right the first time and be done with it.

Dang... anyone bored enough this winter that they want to rebuild my MS460 for free??? :clap: :greenchainsaw:

2Door

This is not meant to be a funny comment in any way shape or form. Can you really hear piston slop at 15,000 RPM? What does it sound like?

I only hear it ar much lower rpm... it likely doesn't slap at high rpm (finds a mid-postion) - just a lousy valve....

me too:cheers:

but Red does't want a saw that works... there'd be nothing more to say.. oh, wait, I forgot, Red would alwasy have something to say ;)

Hey Lake did you notice the red on/off lever on that 026 pic I posted? The ole boy said that saw was around 20 years old. Claimed that thing had cut cord after cord after over the years. The bearings seem as tight as the day it was made. He got a 361 and left that 026 here. Tomorrow she'll be perking coffee again.....

me too:cheers:

but Red does't want a saw that works... there'd be nothing more to say.. oh, wait, I forgot, Red would alwasy have something to say ;)

Nah, he wants one that he can work on.........

After all he is the John Madden of techs

Hey Lake did you notice the red on/off lever on that 026 pic I posted? The ole boy said that saw was around 20 years old. Claimed that thing had cut cord after cord after over the years. The bearings seem as tight as the day it was made. He got a 361 and left that 026 here. Tomorrow she'll be perking coffee again.....

Yep... I see those red levers on 026,024 and 034 all the time around here.
Put the later control shaft and spring on... much better - won't bend when you actuate the control lever without the airfilter on.

Last edited:
Yep... I see those red levers on 026,024 and 034 all the time around here.
Put the later control shaft and spring on... much better - won't bend when you actualte the controll lever without the airfilter on.

Well that can't be , no saw will last 20 years, oppps, LOL

See, now you have come clean and I have a better understanding of your personality. What you need to understand is that there are a lot of people on here that offer help who are genuine. Give it a try.............
Several treat him like a bastard red headed step child.:hmm3grin2orange:

are you guys saying that this thing i have here is 20 years old?
PICT0758.jpg

wow!

Don't know if its 20 or not but its over 10. One of my 026's I brought new in 96' and it has the black lever. Your part of the ole geezer club Volk, be proud,:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Don't know if its 20 or not but its over 10. One of my 026's I brought new in 96' and it has the black lever. Your part of the ole geezer club Volk, be proud,:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

hooray! i'm an old geezer! :cheers:
anyone know what lever red has? he could be working on a 20 year old saw. that would account for skirt wear.
(did i just say red wears a skirt?)

My lever is black.. It's an MS-260.

Best way I can describe the slapping noise is a mix between a tin can hitting the flywheel, and a bad exhaust leak. It is noticeable it idle, and you can still hear it at WOT, you can also hear it in the cut.

It sounds really really bad, you really dont want to be near a saw when it sounds like this one....

Red..... you can't wear the self proclaimed title "Super Tech" and not be able to recognize the sound of piston slap when you hear it. :yourock:
Lets see, you took a scored piston (alum. transferred to the cylinder) and then you sanded the piston skirt smooth (removed even more of the alum.) and now you can't figure out what that clicking noise is. :dunno: :buttkick:

Okay look, pull the spark plug and take a small screwdriver and stick it through the plug hole to push on top of the piston and try to rock it in the bore...... know what that sound is now???

The piston skirt is not just there to look pretty, among other functions it's also a bearing and you just removed half of it which lets it rock back and forth as it's going up and down giving you that tinny rattling clicking sound you've grown so fond of. You also removed the base gasket on a saw that already has a pretty tight squish from the factory.... what’s your squish set at now??? Do you even know???? Did you measure it????..... I bet it's somewhere around .010 - .012" with all that piston slop can you say "head slapper". It's a wonder that thing is still together. :dizzy:

But you already knew that….. :D

Back