Another MS-260...Another scored piston and cylinder.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red..... you can't wear the self proclaimed title "Super Tech" and not be able to recognize the sound of piston slap when you hear it. :yourock:
Lets see, you took a scored piston (alum. transferred to the cylinder) and then you sanded the piston skirt smooth (removed even more of the alum.) and now you can't figure out what that clicking noise is. :dunno: :buttkick:

Okay look, pull the spark plug and take a small screwdriver and stick it through the plug hole to push on top of the piston and try to rock it in the bore...... know what that sound is now???

The piston skirt is not just there to look pretty, among other functions it's also a bearing and you just removed half of it which lets it rock back and forth as it's going up and down giving you that tinny rattling clicking sound you've grown so fond of. You also removed the base gasket on a saw that already has a pretty tight squish from the factory.... what’s your squish set at now??? Do you even know???? Did you measure it????..... I bet it's somewhere around .010 - .012" with all that piston slop can you say "head slapper". It's a wonder that thing is still together. :dizzy:

But you already knew that….. :D

I already stated that the tinny noise was piston slap. reading is fundamental.

As for squish, Trial by fire. I bolted it all up, pulled it through and nothing was hitting, so I figured it would at least start.

The original gasket was pretty thin, around 0.015, and the compound had to be good for 0.005", so I only took off about 0.010". Didnt really bump compression all that much.

i was debating hooking the tach up to it, taking it outside and having a coworker put his camera phone on the tach, tune it way lean and see how high it would spin before it either stopped revving or made shrapnel...but we chickened out when the idea of the chain coming apart at that speed was put into the process. Plus the fact the saw is in too good of shape to destroy. I really do want to have a runner, I just want to do it all myself, and in due time.

Ya, the Bottom end looked great, no slop in anything, I cleaned it out, lubed it all up...It was turning a touch over 15,000 when I tached it last, and that tinny noise was very pronounced. The piston is loose in the bore, I know Im getting piston rock and slap..

How can you be getting 150 psi if the piston is that loose?

are you guys saying that this thing i have here is 20 years old?
PICT0758.jpg

wow!

That baby is newish...My 026 didn't even have a clear fuel tank.

Red whats da hold up??

How come ya don't have that saw running right yet. Lookie here, this is all you need to fix it.

attachment.php

Aint that a pruty piston, OEM of course, use the best, forget the rest I say.

da cause of death

attachment.php

I reckon after 20 years the fuel hose just said to hell with it and folded up,LOL

Seals were fine, everything was a-ok cept for that soft fuel hose. I guess running lean too long finally kill the girl but the ole doc has given her new life.

Now Red fix that dayummm saw of your and quit piddling with it!!!

Perking Coffee, just waiting on the pot

She runs so fine Red, 3 pulls and varoom she went.

attachment.php

I think you should send that POS to me, postage free. That would get it off your hands; and, give me something to do during deer season, being as I can't cut wood, unless I want buckshot in my shorts. :cheers:

Hey West Texas how about going deer hunting during deer season?:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

THALL; It was a real pleasure to meet you yesterday...be careful with that bottle of VG...it might affect your vision, turn all of the Stihl's on the shelf red!!...Will be stopping by, maybe tomorrow with Christmas "cheer"

:cheers:
:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

THALL; It was a real pleasure to meet you yesterday...be careful with that bottle of VG...it might affect your vision, turn all of the Stihl's on the shelf red!!...Will be stopping by, maybe tomorrow with Christmas "cheer"

:cheers:
:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Glad ya stopped in. If ya get a chance swing by Red's place and ask him whats the hold up on him fixing that 260. Hell its only a 40 minute job,LOL

Back