Another new OWB owner with a quick question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNCECIL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am totally new to burning wood for heat and bought a Woodmaster 4400 (dealer is very close, nice, and helpful). :rock:

I have been burning some Chesnut Oak lately and it is leaving a bed of coals around 6"-8" deep. Is this coal bed too deep and I and should I remove some and use them in the grill :msp_smile:, or should I just leave them and keep adding wood as necessary?

Thanks for the help in advance!

It is fairly easy to feed the boiler more than what it needs. On warmer days or the weekends that I plan to be around I like to let the boiler burn just the coals. It will all turn to fine white ash given time to burn. Once they get burnt down a bit reload as normal and enjoy the heat.

Don't forget....Seasoned, dry wood only.

x2..in time u will figure out how much to add for a more complete burn. Took me a month or so.

Thanks

I bought it in late February and have burnt a variety of wood species in it. You see I didn't have any from last year and didn't want to buy wood from CL or the paper and buy their green wood being sold for seasoned. I burnt a lot of dead standing trees, some black walnut, a little bit of red oak, poplor, and some pine. I've just never seen coal bed like I have now.

I've taken this week off work so I will play around with it. I've got wood split in 10" wide pieces x 24"-26" long, and I've got rounds that are 12" across and as big as I can handle. Time will tell I guess.

This time of year I only load wood to the back and rake the coals to the front first, and some days I'm doing the same as the above and only loading wood once a day in the evening.

I always rake the coals to the front - then add the new wood to the back. I load my Woodmaster once in the morning and just before I go to bed - and I only add enough wood to get me to the next loading period. I consider my guess at how much wood to add a success when I come out and the blower is on and all that I have left is a few glowing coals. Not only do I get less coals to fuss with when using this method - I also get less creosote build up on the inside of the OWB. On the weekend I will rake coals and keep turning the unburned coals into ash and sometimes I can get hours of heat without adding any wood. I have the most coal build up when using small diameter wood - especially Locust. I have much less coal build up when the wood pieces are large, and I only split the wood small enough to make it reasoanble to lift and throw into the OWB.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back