Another newbie out shopping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tharrison57

tharrison57

ArboristSite Operative
Hey gang, long time listener, first time caller ...... no wait, wrong place ! Yes, I found this forum some time ago, and very much enjoy trying to educate myself a bit. Here goes with the can of worms :

I don't burn wood, don't do this for a living, but do enjoy getting out. Mainly it's just cleanup of anything that Mother Nature brings down, cleaning out part of a fence row, or getting rid of another dam!@? locust or hedge tree. The 011 lived a good 15 years, until all the rod bearings decided to go on their own. The MS210 replacement seems a bit disappointing, but kinda okay. I can't afford a 361, I'll get that out of the way now. I have Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, Echo and all the box stores close by. I want something that'll be around for a while, and I'm not a heavy user by any means. I also sit behind a desk five days a week, so I don't need a HUGE critter !:dizzy:

I've looked at a Husky 350, Stihl 260 Pro, and the Dolmar 5100. I'm really leaning toward the Dolmar. One dealer recommends the .325 chain, and of course, the other a 3/8 chain. I'm thinking in the neighborhood of $400. Am I getting anywhere close to a bullseye ? Take your shots gang, I'm always open for input. THANKS IN ADVANCE ! :clap:

bcorradi

bcorradi

Arboristsite.com Sponsor
$400 will almost get you a 346XP, you would be very pleased with that saw and keep finding excuses to use it, and it will cut circles around a comparable Stihl.
I'm not saying it will not be faster than an 260...but your also the one that said a 585 will cut circles around a 660? Your saw comparison track record isn't all that great. Won't a 5100 "cut circles" around a 346?

2000ssm6

2000ssm6

Stihl User
Need I say more???

attachment.php

Toyjunkie

Toyjunkie

ArboristSite Operative
If you want to stay under the $400 then go with the 5100. Nice unit not to heavy and if you have dealer's near by it's a no brainer!!

Good luck :cheers:

teacherman

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
$400 will almost get you a 346XP, you would be very pleased with that saw and keep finding excuses to use it, and it will cut circles around a comparable Stihl.

Try Sears, then. They sell Husqvarna chainsaws........:monkey:

Maybe a used 361 that an AS mamber has pampered (because he loves saws), and hardly used (because he has so many of them).

Oh, does the "346XP cut in circles? I thought that was not a good thing.......:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
kruege84

kruege84

ArboristSite Guru
I'd say the 260.

Wait, the girl doesn't come with the saw?!?! :cry:

Personally, I'd probably take the 5100, 3/8, 16" B/C.

Oh yeah, good job ruling out the 361 early. You saved this thread from being 8 pages 361 priase.

Last edited:
tharrison57

tharrison57

ArboristSite Operative
See, I knew I could count on you guys. I guess I forgot to mention the fact that both Dolmar dealers stock the 5100 with the 18" b&c. Still stay with the 3/8's ?

And thanks again ...... APPRECIATE the HUMOR !

Think Dolmar could come up with a calendar ??? :bowdown: :heart:

treeclimber jul

treeclimber jul

ArboristSite Operative
260 is a vary good saw, more nimble than the 5100 IMO. The 5100 is faster and more smooth but I don't know about how long it will last..seems well made

your case looks like a 5100 as you will not be using it every day for a living..

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
.... I've looked at a Husky 350, Stihl 260 Pro, and the Dolmar 5100. I'm really leaning toward the Dolmar. One dealer recommends the .325 chain, and of course, the other a 3/8 chain. I'm thinking in the neighborhood of $400. Am I getting anywhere close to a bullseye ? Take your shots gang, I'm always open for input. THANKS IN ADVANCE ! :clap:

You are comparing a consumer Husky to pro saws from Stihl and Dolmar - and keep leaning towards the Dolmar, or step out of your list, and get the NE346xp Husky.

The 260 also is a good saw, but it suffers in several ways from being a very old design.

...and don't get a bar longer than 16", unless you know that you need it frequently - rather get a longer bar later if the need arise, and use it only when needed.

Last edited:
maccall

maccall

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Need I say more???

attachment.php

Whoa ! ! ! Maybe I'd better go back and look at that 260 again !??!!?!?:hmm3grin2orange:

I'd say the 260.

Wait, the girl doesn't come with the saw?!?! :cry:

Personally, I'd probably take the 5100, 3/8, 16" B/C.

Oh yeah, good job ruling out the 361 early. You saved this thread from being 8 pages 361 priase.

She comes with the 660 she's holding, but that'll be three times your money...

oneoldbanjo

oneoldbanjo

Addicted to ArboristSite
I had a Stihl 029 for 11 years and did the same thing you are doing....cleaning up after a storm, cleaning fence rows, turning Locust into fence posts. I sold it when I got an outdoor woodburner so I could buy a bigger saw. I also bought a used MS260 on eBay for $ 280.....and I have been spending a lot of time with it lately. I really like it.....it needed the carb cleaned and a tune up when I got it.....but I don't have a problem doing that kind of work and it ran really well after I worked on it for an hour.

I think you would really like a 260. It has nice power for a small saw, it is nimble, pretty light, and with a 16' bar it performs really well. If it is a bit beyond what you wanted to spend maybe this one would work for you as it seems to be in real nice shape:

http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=828&cat=6

I don't know anything about Huskee or Dolmar......Stihl is much easier to buy and get serviced where I live.

Last edited:

JPP

ArboristSite Operative
Need I say more???

attachment.php

Where can I get a calendar like that?

Back on topic.

I am a desk jockey too who cuts wood about 25-30 weekends a year, usually cut 10 cords of wood for the house and remove fallen pines from my woods, clear shooting lanes, cut up nuisance trees for friends, etc.
I like my 260 Pro very much. Since you already listed the saw on your 'possible' list that would be a good choice for the duties you have stated.
It is very light weight and powerful for small jobs, easy to use, cuts great. Great saw.
Another vote to go with 16" bar on the 260.

Are you sure that in the future you won't need something bigger???

I'm thinking throw in some more cash and just get the 361, you'll be covered for everything you may face.

I have learned from my own experiences that it is better to have MORE saw than you really need for most jobs, because someday you will need it. Plus, bigger saw will get the job done faster.
I am getting so used to my 441, I am using the 441 for simple limbing jobs now to get the job done faster. :greenchainsaw:
But, that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
2000ssm6

2000ssm6

Stihl User
Where can I get a calendar like that?

Back on topic.

I am a desk jockey too who cuts wood about 25-30 weekends a year, usually cut 10 cords of wood for the house and remove fallen pines from my woods, clear shooting lanes, cut up nuisance trees for friends, etc.
I like my 260 Pro very much. Since you already listed the saw on your 'possible' list that would be a good choice for the duties you have stated.
It is very light weight and powerful for small jobs, easy to use, cuts great. Great saw.
Another vote to go with 16" bar on the 260.

Are you sure that in the future you won't need something bigger???

I'm thinking throw in some more cash and just get the 361, you'll be covered for everything you may face.

I have learned from my own experiences that it is better to have MORE saw than you really need for most jobs, because someday you will need it. Plus, bigger saw will get the job done faster.
I am getting so used to my 441, I am using the 441 for simple limbing jobs now to get the job done faster. :greenchainsaw:
But, that's just my opinion.

Great post! The calenders can be had at your local Stihl dealer. You may want to call and see if they have any before the drive. But then you may not need a reason to stop in, I don't, LOL.