Another newbie out shopping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tharrison57

tharrison57

ArboristSite Operative
The 5100 is a nice saw. I think you should somehow come up with the money to buy the MS361. It may hurt a little, I don't know your financial situation. For a bit extra, you are in a completely different league. The 361 is a Prince among pygmies.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 361 is probably a fine machine. I swung one around at a dealer yesterday, long enough to make them nervous before I put it back on the shelf. BUT ..... at 1-1/2 the cost of the 5100, $400 compared to $600, and no more than I'd use it ...... well, I just don't think it's in the cards. College costs for my daughter, gasoline for a 70 mile daily roundtrip to work, it's just really cut down on the "fun" money, if you know what I mean. Reality wise, a "Wild Thing" would probably do all I really need to do, and I've been able to get by for 50 years without a 'killer', but I'd just like to be able to squeeze the trigger, and go "HOLY S?!T" ..... for the RIGHT reason.

tharrison57

tharrison57

ArboristSite Operative
I did talk to a dealer the other day, said he had sold a 5100 to an older customer that had used many saws. Said the gent came back after about 6 weeks and said, "It does everything you told me it would and more, but there's one thing I don't like. It won't stay home. Now everybody shows up to borrow it !"

And the road goes on forever and the party never ends ............:clap:

Last edited:
SAWITALL

SAWITALL

ArboristSite Guru
Don't get me wrong, I think the 361 is probably a fine machine. I swung one around at a dealer yesterday, long enough to make them nervous before I put it back on the shelf. BUT ..... at 1-1/2 the cost of the 5100, $400 compared to $600, and no more than I'd use it ...... well, I just don't think it's in the cards. College costs for my daughter, gasoline for a 70 mile daily roundtrip to work, it's just really cut down on the "fun" money, if you know what I mean. Reality wise, a "Wild Thing" would probably do all I really need to do, and I've been able to get by for 50 years without a 'killer', but I'd just like to be able to squeeze the trigger, and go "HOLY S?!T" ..... for the RIGHT reason.

Then get the 260, it is the saw that will give you that feeling. Plus it's design will all but guarantee that it is the saw that will last you beyond the others.

cpr

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'd just like to be able to squeeze the trigger, and go "HOLY S?!T" ..... for the RIGHT reason.

Kinda like when I got my 372xp... Gosh I love that thing. Definately going after another one. MS260 is a great saw, I like my father-in-law's 026 quite well, but I have to be another vote for the 346xpne. MS361 is a great saw, too, but if you don't need it, stick to your guns. The guys around here talked me down from a 390xp to the 372xp and I'm happy to have the $200 still in my pocket and used it to "accessorize" the 372xp http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii168/cpoosch/stuff/372xp1.jpg.

Kansasplains

Kansasplains

I guess you didn't factor in that the 5100 weights a bit more than advertised...........

Really? The specs aren't quite right? How much does it actually weigh? The specs have it listed at 11.2 lbs.

I'm new on here too. Just registered yesterday to see what people are saying about the Dolmar 5100 and the Stihl 361. I stopped in yesterday and visited with the guy that's been selling Dolmar here for 20+ years. I didn't even know we had a Dolmar dealer in the area. It's been interesting to see all the varied opinions on AS about different saws.

Kansasplains

huskystihl

huskystihl

Addicted to ArboristSite
Really? The specs aren't quite right? How much does it actually weigh? The specs have it listed at 11.2 lbs.

I'm new on here too. Just registered yesterday to see what people are saying about the Dolmar 5100 and the Stihl 361. I stopped in yesterday and visited with the guy that's been selling Dolmar here for 20+ years. I didn't even know we had a Dolmar dealer in the area. It's been interesting to see all the varied opinions on AS about different saws.

Kansasplains

I added two 5100's the last couple months and replaced an aging 036 with the 361. The dolmars are 16 and 20" bars and the 361 is a 20". The 5100's are basically equal to the 361 with less hp, but performance wise about the same. The extra $200 is a pretty big deal but no doubt worth it based off of the stihl track record. Find a trusty dealer and don't look back.

dumbhunter

dumbhunter

ArboristSite Operative
they are all good

but with any mass produced item in the world, you can still get a lemon in the lot. could be a new hire in the plant not putting the right torque on a nut or bolt, etc. and as far as price.. feel lucky, my ol lady compains if i try to spend more than 50 on an old rattlebox of a saw thats in need of tlc. i would not dare spend 600 on a saw unless i plan on building a house with it as i would be homeless. my suggestion is this..

buy a saw that feels comfortable for you to use, as there are many choices. a name, is a name, comfort is something only you can enjoy. if the saw is to heavy or feels awkward then you will not enjoy using it. your body will thank you for it. so make sure you will enjoy using the saw first and formost, as different saws will feel different, handle different, but buy something from a reputable company.

this is just my honest opinion.

tharrison57

tharrison57

ArboristSite Operative
I'm new on here too. Just registered yesterday to see what people are saying about the Dolmar 5100 and the Stihl 361. ............. It's been interesting to see all the varied opinions on AS about different saws.

Kansasplains

Oh, Oh, Oh, even though I'm new, can I tell him ???? "Buy the 361 and never be sorry":chainsaw: ........ No, I'm just kidding.:clap:

In all seriousness, what you will find here is a VAST amount of knowledge. You will find folks that are fiercely loyal to the brands of their choice, until the last drop of 50:1 drains from their can. You will also find those that will say, "This is the way I'd do it, but yours may be better." You will even find those that have a wicked sense of humor, and those that just enjoy hanging out and having a good time.

But in my short time here, the biggest thing that I've found, is a group of folks that have the deepest passion for their vocation/hobby, and a genuine desire of helpfulness to those of the "brotherhood". From one new poster to another, welcome. I think you'll find it's a great place to hang around.

And to those folks of the forum, please, take a bow. You are appreciated ! :cheers:

Kansasplains

Kansasplains

"Buy the 361 and never be sorry"

Yeah, I've already seen that one and most of the other responses you've listed. Fortunately my brother just bought a 361 about a month ago, so I can test drive that one, and the Dolmar dealer has a demo 5100 that he said I could try out. Sounds like I'll just have to give them both a workout some Saturday. Thanks for the welcome. Lots of good info on here.

Kansasplains

litefoot

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
So here's the numbers I've found locally :Dolmar PS-5100 18# $ 409.95Husky# 346XP### 18# $ 464.95Stihl### 260 Pro# 18# $ 509.95Stihl### 361###### 18# $ 609.95So far I've stayed out of the big box guys, so I guess I have been reminded of something I really knew. I haven't found the Echo or Jonsered gents yet, but I'm not done yet either. I WILL end up getting there, and I do appreciate all the onfo. I just don't relish the thought of pulling out the Roper, or the big barred (12") Homelite.:greenchainsaw:
Mr. Harrison,I roll my eyes everytime I hear the weight, balance and $/HP arguments here. All the saws on your list will start everytime and they will last for years and years. There's not a bad one on your list. One may weigh 0.5 lbs more/less. The other will cut 18" trees 0.5 seconds faster/slower. So what??!! You're not a production logger. You're looking for something to have fun with. Your family and your daughters education are more important than trying to please this crowd. The 5100 seems like an incredible bargain. Buy it!

Edited to Add: Don't forget you've got to factor PPE (another $100) into the price of the chainsaw ticket.

Last edited:
tharrison57

tharrison57

ArboristSite Operative
Thank you all, but I think I'm done .... for the FIRST time !

Putting the affairs in order, and getting ready to pull the trigger this week.

After running into a fabulous deal, due to one of the members here, I'm ready to drop the hammer on the Dolmar PS-5100, 18" 3/8's.

All of your input was greatly appreciated, and I hope you all don't mind me peeking over your shoulders to continue with this dreaded disease, and maybe even popping in & saying hello.

Again, thank you all for your help !

Sawing soon in Sin City ! ! ! ! !

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Mr. Harrison,I roll my eyes everytime I hear the weight, balance and $/HP arguments here. All the saws on your list will start everytime and they will last for years and years. There's not a bad one on your list. One may weigh 0.5 lbs more/less. The other will cut 18" trees 0.5 seconds faster/slower. So what??!! You're not a production logger. You're looking for something to have fun with. ......

I actually agree, but then it is fun to discuss the finer points of things, and trying to optimize for the task at hand.......:)

aandabooks

aandabooks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sure, but added weight in the empty powerhead doesn't go away.......

If I were interested in what a saw weighed when making a buying decision, I'd be far more interested in the final working weight of the saw. One powerhead might be lighter than another but have larger capacity in its tanks and therefore at working weight they are closer together than they would at first seem on paper.

I have no interest in getting down to what a saw actually weighs on paper. Paper doesn't cut the tree.

Latest posts