ANOTHER NOOB THREAD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
>and I have a mechanical backround so mod/fab/machine/welding isnt an issue

woodchippie ~ KISS!

keep it simple. since u got a good background with mechanical stuff, KISS! decide on your saw, buy an extra chain for it. imo, skip buying loose chain, etc. skip muff mods just now... skip the mods and optimize the saw's stock performance window and utility... keep air filter clean. keep chain sharp. you can get extra chain speed and torque by setting chain tension a tweak looser. eases load on PTO (clutch) end bearings. keep clutch and area clean. keep saw clean. ensure correct lubrication to clutch bearing, etc.

take a long walk off a short pier and ummv, but I doubt it. :D

have fun! be safe, run stock, wear and use good PPE...

This type file guide listed above http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/accessories/filing-tools/fileguide/ is OK if the chains tooth is not worn back very much. If the tooth is worn back to about 1/2 the guide holds the file too high on the tooth and you will be continuously dulling the cutter tooth as you file instead of sharpening. The chain won't make chips or cut good just kinda flour dust coming off the log and you go back and sharpen again and it gets somewhat worse. This is because the depth tang needs to be filed down FIRST so as the file guide will sit lower on the cutter tooth.(this is not readily apparent and you will think that you don't know how to sharpen a chain. (the depth tang is holding the file guide and file up too high on the cutter tooth) and make sure that the file guide is for the correct size file. (don't get a 5/32 file guide and use a 7/32 file, etc) The file size is normally stamped on the metal guide.
After you get the basics you will be able to just file away with no guides etc, but do buy good name brand files.
And you will eventually also find yourself touching up a chain before it gets completely dull.

Stay safe and watch out when cutting dead trees. (widow makers)

These trees are dead but still way stout...not rotted at all. But every one I drop it seems to know where I am. Every one of them tries to get me. The poulan is a P3314

The craftsman says 20/70DL (chain)....also says US83G (?).....
3/8 pitch .050GA........is that an easy chain to get in any type chain?

I think I'm good for now. Got a little tsaw lined up for next week and I'm going to see what I can do with the chains I have.

Back