Another Oak score 2+cords

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildmyown

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well Well Well. Yes I did score. This is the remainder of a tree that had to be removed after Irene blew threw. I hauled 3 heaping 8 foot truck loads from this tree and a neighbor also got 3 or 4 loads from it and that was just the limbs. This is the last of it he didnt want to deal with it he said it was to big for him. So i coaxed him in to bringing them over for me with his tractor and forks . The logs are all about 6 foot long and average 40+inchs in diameter to about 24 inches. Im guessing 2+cords once its all split and stacked. There will be lots of noodling going on so i can lift these monsters onto the SS. Now might be a good time to look for a 372 cause this is going to be a work out for the 266. If there is anyone in my area that has a big saw and wants to have some fun let me know. I will warn that the bigest section does have a lot of metal and its not the cleanest wood. Here is some firewood #### for all you nuts like me.
PICT0669.jpg

PICT0670.jpg

PICT0671.jpg

PICT0672.jpg

Made a little headway today. Had a few hours to kill so lets do some cutting. Got 2 of the 4 logs bucked up 3 tanks of fuel and oil and 4 chain sharpenings 3 because of something in the wood and once for operator error. Also realized im out of of bar the 20 just isnt going to get it done so going to order a 24 and some skip chain. Do to the size these are not easy to roll to finish the cut and some have a flat side do to the way the tree split. On one of the logs i had to bore a hole into then wedge a 4 foot steel pry bar and then another 4 foot pipe to get enough leverage to roll it over.
PICT0673.jpg

PICT0674.jpg

PICT0675.jpg

PICT0676.jpg

PICT0678.jpg

PICT0679.jpg

good score ! ,i would definitely feel more secure for the winter if i had a few of those behind my shop:msp_thumbup:

Not trying to burst your bubble...maybe you are one of those guys like my dad who just couldn't get his fill of big wood. Me on the other hand can't stand it. It takes so much more time to work up. I would gladly take something about 12 inches in diameter.
I did have some 30" plus stuff full of all those nasty knots today that I wrestled around with, cussing them the whole time. Took an hour and 45 minutes to buck up what should equal just shy of two cords. Now more aggravation tomorrow when I go to split it. But as I said, not trying to rain on your parade - if you enjoy that stuff well looks like you have some good times ahead!

Not trying to burst your bubble...maybe you are one of those guys like my dad who just couldn't get his fill of big wood. Me on the other hand can't stand it. It takes so much more time to work up. I would gladly take something about 12 inches in diameter.
I did have some 30" plus stuff full of all those nasty knots today that I wrestled around with, cussing them the whole time. Took an hour and 45 minutes to buck up what should equal just shy of two cords. Now more aggravation tomorrow when I go to split it. But as I said, not trying to rain on your parade - if you enjoy that stuff well looks like you have some good times ahead!

I agree but this is the first time ive ever had wood this big and it is kinda fun I like a challange every now and again. Plus there was no way I was going to watch this rot away in the ditch across from my driveway.

I certainly wouldn't want to watch it rot either. Enjoy.

Phase 1 done all blocked up and some broken down a little already.
PICT0680.jpg

Only damage second to last cut caught a nail and broke 3 cutters on one side. It was still pulling good chips so I just went with it and finished up fiquring the chain was already messed up so it cant get any worse. Not sure what im going to do about the chain yet might just file it and run it and see what happens. Most of the damage is to the top plate of the cutter.
PICT0681.jpg

PICT0682.jpg

I cut modestly big wood, all oak, yes it is slow but it is the best you can get. If you are in a hurry smaller wood will work up faster.
Big trees are old like me, small trees have years to live and get big.

Oh i knew there was metal in this tree you can see some of it in the pictures. 3 of the logs i knew would be clear because they were higher up the main trunk. The log with the white XXX painted on it is the first 6 feet of the trunk that is where i knew there was metal since my mailbox had been mounted to this tree for 30+ years. I was just really surprised that I made it that far without trashing a chain and was totally expecting it.

Latest posts

Back