Another OWB water pump Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
How do you all have your pumps set.On my unit my pump kicks on when my house thermostat calls for heat and the pump kicks off when my blower quits running.Does anyone else have theirs setup this way or does your pumps run continuously

My CB 5036 pump runs 24/7 as recommended by my dealer (to a water-water HX). This allows for much quicker recovery when house calls for heat.

each zone (main) is on 24/7

inside each house, for whatever 2nd loop pulls from the main, is intermittent...

garage, floor, patio, etc, as they cal lfor heat, fires up the pump for their zone, no need to move the water in the house if it's not below freezing..

edit*
each main hits the DHW first, which is 24/7, and then i have pumps that pull from the main as needed, as thermo-siphon needs the hottest wwater to be effiecent as possible.

Last edited:
Main loop pump runs 24/7. My water/air coils have 3-way valves so I can run the fans constantly to avoid cold spots. I also have a plate water/water exchanger to act as a tankless hot water heater. The pump on my secondary loop is switched using the fan switch in my t-stat that controls the main water/air valve. The secondary loop feeds two kickspace heaters (I LOVE shaving with warm air blowing up my towel!) and a wall heater in the garage.

24/7 on my Woodmaster. Furnace fan kicks on when thermostat calls for heat.

pacific western -24/7- runs house , garage, office, and even pool in the summer. never shuts down !!

my pump only runs when something it callin' for heat....as far as freezin'.....it's not goin' to happened as long as there is wood in it and heatin'....off cycle would stay warm enough even at subzero temps till next cycle...never tested it but i would think it would take a few hours to drop a 150 degrees and get below 32f....and i have had mine both ways and cyclin' the pump off uses less wood....with mine any way...

my pump only runs when something it callin' for heat....as far as freezin'.....it's not goin' to happened as long as there is wood in it and heatin'....off cycle would stay warm enough even at subzero temps till next cycle...never tested it but i would think it would take a few hours to drop a 150 degrees and get below 32f....and i have had mine both ways and cyclin' the pump off uses less wood....with mine any way...
Have mine hooked up the same way.As mentioned I have tried mine both ways and stove uses less wood by cycling pump.

I have my pump cycling on and off when the blower turns on. I had a plate heat exchanger at the OWB with a seperate pump. I froze the line on that and ruined the pump and heat exchanger. I am considering running the main pump 24/7 and buying a new heat exchanger and placing it in the basement. This also eliminates the need for an extra pump. How much more wood will I burn?

My pump in the house runs 24/7 I use the water to air exchanger so I have less of a run time on my blower when the water is on the hot side. My underground water lines are 135 ft from the house to the OWB. I also use a 10 plate exchanger direct for my hot water. With the pump running 24/7 I still get some heat up my air ducts from the forced air when the blower is off and always have enough hot water.

i have had mine both ways and cyclin' the pump off uses less wood....with mine any way...

I have tried mine both ways and stove uses less wood by cycling pump.

Good info... can you guys give a rough estimate as to how much wood you save by cycling???? Or give an estimate in the increase in burn time?

How long did you run the pump 24/7 and how long have you been cycling?

It would be easy to wire in a control that would allow you to switch back and forth.... That way... if temps dropped really low and you did become concerned about frezzing... you could switch over to full time pump operation... but then again.. if temps drop really low, your gonna have more demand, and the pump will be cycling more anyway... With my installation, and the way my lines are insulated, I doubt very seriously mine would ever freeze.... and I suspect that is likely with most installations ?

Back