Another Port-A-Wrap?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a whoopie sling for my porty. Which size would be the most versatile and useful to me. I am looking for one that would make the most sense to buy and use for mid size trees. I have a long double braid eye sling I could use should the need arise to use it on a large diameter tree. I am wanting to buy a whoopie sling for convenience that would be able to be used on your average, everyday trees.

Also, if you are rigging really large wood or blocking chunks do you still use your porty or go to getting wraps on the tree the old fashioned way. Not sure I would trust a sling with the biggest pieces that I lower. I tend to go natural crotch on them and leave the block on the the ground. Seem like the same would make sense for the porty and sling... I'm talking about situations like hanging whole trees...

I use the big one that Sherrill sells. It works well have taken chunks up to 2 grand but that is a little past my comfort zone I like to stay around 1k or so on the heavier side. I only natural crotch the light stuff.

Hey I was asking myself the same question a little while ago. I have very little rigging experience but I just had to order gear to help me finish a job up. I picked up a light duty block, port-a-wrap, and some arbor-plex, I also ordered 30' of 1/2" Tenex (I don't plan on rigging anything big until I get the hang of swinging out small logs and pieces) I found this link for making whoopie slings and it was really easy, it only took about an hour to make the first one and the second only took about 30 minutes. I used a ~3/8" plastic rod (about a foot long) with a point as a fid and some electircal tape and it worked fine. I also added some custom chafe guards made out of tubular webbing. I made two, one adjusts from about 3' to 8' and the other one adjusts from 24" to 5'. Point is: you can customize the size to exactly what you need and buying tenex in bulk in the length and diameter you want is way cheaper than buying pre-made slings. The wood I plan on working with is usually no bigger than 30" DBH so i figure the eight footer will have just enough length to hang the port-a-wrap on the biggest stuff.

Here is my gear:

CIMG0779.jpg

Great info! Thanks!

Still got the link where you learned how to make them?

I looked up the product video for the large whoopie sling on youtube. Couldn't get the one on Sherril's site to play for me. That looks like the one I am wanting to get.

Still would like to be able to make my own.

I got the big one and the porta IV stainless....dropped a top @ around 1-1.2 k this afternoon...didn't even grunt...me likey...

Sherril has package deals this month on porta/whoopie and cmi block/loopie...25 bucks off... promo code 25 kit...

Cannot say enough about sherrill's promptness...ordered around 3:00 tuesday..pkg arrived 1200 next day...

Back