Another PPE Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laird

Nemo me impune lacessit
Reaction score
This one with a sad ending. Our local taxidermist was out cutting firewood yesterday and was killed when a branch that was lodged in the top came down and hit him in the head. No PPE. Rescue personnel said they thought it killed him instantly from the look of it. His wife found him when when she got worried and went looking for him.

Thanks for the grim reminder.

I'm guilty of not wearing a hard hat, though I'm pretty good about the other PPE. I don't do much falling, but I have been smacked on the head by a falling branch. No doubt a hard hat is a good idea when you are falling.

I also like to wear my hard hat when bucking trees where there are still limbs over my head. I know that the height is not as high as when the tree is standing, but it might save you from a bad headache and/or a gash in your head.

Kevin

Not only do hardhats keep your skull intact, they also keep rain/sun off your head, I guess the un-coolness factor is enough to outweigh all that for some people.

Integrated helmet/hearing/face protection systems are great. One item to keep track of and it really helps encourage you to use all 3 forms of PPE. I don't work without mine on.

Unless there is no wind, I will no even walk in one of my woods without a helmet, branches that can stick in the dirt have enough downward force to kill.

Sorry to hear this Laird...Was he a Friend, being a small town and all?..

Thanks for the grim reminder.

I'm guilty of not wearing a hard hat, though I'm pretty good about the other PPE. I don't do much falling, but I have been smacked on the head by a falling branch. No doubt a hard hat is a good idea when you are falling.

Even better idea when limbs are falling. Sorry about your friend, Laird.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it Laird.

I have never wore one but am getting ready to buy a new saw....might as well get the helmet as well. Thanks for the reminder.

Latest posts

Back