another question about a whisper chipper (mechanical)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterarbor

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
the 1993 altec chipper i bought has a new throttle cable connected directly to the carburetor, but i see that there was originally a cable connected over near the alternator and fan etc., and it looks like a bar used to connect to the carb from there. does this have to do with RPM regulation during chipping? should i attempt to restore this to original condition or will it be fine connected directly to the carb? i'm not much of a mechanic.:bang:

Last edited:
The bar and second cable was most likely a governor setup for the carb. Helps increase rpm when the machine is under load. Having it direct probably has your machine at a wide open position all the time. Beside burning a lot more fuel, the engine doesn't cycle to cool down. I don't think it is healthy for the machine to run wide open all the time so I would reattach the governor.

I have a Chipmore, and the way mine is set up is the throttle cable is connected to the govenor, then there is a rod connecting the govenor to the carb. If the throttle cable goes right to the carb, it not going to work for :censored: . The whole purpose of the govenor is so that under a load it opens up the carb for more power, if it's un-hooked it'll die as soon as you put a load on it. There's probably a reason the previous owner diconnected the gov. Either the Gov. went bad or maybe the throttle cable went bad and all he had was a short one laying around. As for RPM's, i have mine set at 2250. But you can take them up to 2500 max. If you need any pics. let me know.

okay, good advice! any additional info?

as i mentioned, i am not mechanically inclined.

here's the situation. it's a 1993 12" altec 300 Ford motor with 1,500 hrs. i bought it for $3000.00. the guy i bought it from got it at an auction and refurbished the machine here and there (new carb and muffler, oil, plugs, filter and a paint job). He said the original cable was seized so he installed a new cable directly to the carb. He was under the gun to get the unit ready for me to pick up since i was driving from out of state. said that I should maybe hook the governor back up, so i'm assuming it works okay or he wouldn't have mentioned it. he fabricated a bar that goes from the governor to the carb for when i'm ready to replace the cable.

the power down thing makes sense to me 'cause i was wondering why it would pull the carb away from full throttle when applied. i thought it was supposed to ramp up under load, but you say it is to ramp down while idle? even though i am a seasoned tree man, this is my first drum chipper. maybe i should be posting in 101, but if you could give me any rookie pointers (no matter how obvious) as far as this cable hook up thing goes i'd appreciate it.

also, I have an engine cover for one side but would have to hook up fasteners for it, but i've seen plenty that have none at all. pros? cons?
thanks guys!

Kevin

It is not that its going to die if the thing is wide open,it just will
burn your engine up and such, wear things out.I can tell stories
of ways that machine being abused, and miracles in output
accomplished, but it may cause bad habits so, I keep it to myself.
If everything is proper on the machine it at governed output performs
very well.

The engine cover keeps dust water etc. out, if its distributor side
could cause running problems! The governor would be in your favor to
have hooked up, but may not be good or improperly adjusted. I may
take a pic of mine to show you how its hooked up if you think it would help!
Those type governors have an adjusting screw and jam nut, that sets
how fast it kicks in when loaded!

It is not that its going to die if the thing is wide open,it just will
burn your engine up and such, wear things out.I can tell stories
of ways that machine being abused, and miracles in output
accomplished, but it may cause bad habits so, I keep it to myself.
If everything is proper on the machine it at governed output performs
very well.

I think I know what you're talking about, pretty cool if its not your machine. No self feeder can pull off that magic trick, zoom-gone.

pics would be good.

I have a Chipmore, and the way mine is set up is the throttle cable is connected to the govenor, then there is a rod connecting the govenor to the carb. If the throttle cable goes right to the carb, it not going to work for :censored: . The whole purpose of the govenor is so that under a load it opens up the carb for more power, if it's un-hooked it'll die as soon as you put a load on it. There's probably a reason the previous owner diconnected the gov. Either the Gov. went bad or maybe the throttle cable went bad and all he had was a short one laying around. As for RPM's, i have mine set at 2250. But you can take them up to 2500 max. If you need any pics. let me know.

It would be helpful to see how it is supposed to be set up.

pictures of a properly set up machine would be great

Yeah, any pics of your governor cable set up would be good. that way i can figure out if the fabricated rod is going to work for me.

thanks a ton

it's amazing how something so simple for you is so incredibly helpful to me. this site is a life saver! i'm new around here. i'll have to go onto the 101 threads and spread some of my experience with the greenies to do my part.

thanks! that's about how i imagined it, but now i know for sure. hopefully the governor still works! i saved about $1,200.00 driving 2 1/2 hrs. to pick it up, so if i have to throw some $ at it, i'm still (technically) in the black. i'll let you know how it all pans out.
kevin:bowdown:

the 1993 altec chipper i bought has a new throttle cable connected directly to the carburetor, but i see that there was originally a cable connected over near the alternator and fan etc., and it looks like a bar used to connect to the carb from there. does this have to do with RPM regulation during chipping? should i attempt to restore this to original condition or will it be fine connected directly to the carb? i'm not much of a mechanic.:bang:

Most likely it needs the governor assembly and a new rod and someone to set it up. A book might help you but since you said you are not mechanically inclined I would not mess with it. I probably would not even be in this business because that machine is going to need a budget for the repairs it is going to need.
Sounds like the previous owners rigged it to work and most likely you are going to burn it up at wot. You should get very familiar with that machine, after all you own it, its your baby now.
I don't mean to sound bleek but I have been there, I might have been more prepared but... find a shop, have em check out and give you a print out of its condition, start adding and subtracting.If you can clean it so you can have ready access to work on it. sometimes the run for years

it has the governor on it and the levers work back and forth when you operate the throttle, so i'm optomistic about it's condition. i think i can handle the set up for this-it appears fairly entry level. my only concern is how tight the throttle cable should be and if my rod is of the appropriate length.

as far as the "i wouldn't even be in the business" comment (if i'm interpreting it properly), i am a certified arborist with many years of experience in all aspects of tree care, so i might stick with it after all... this is just my first drum chipper is all.

thanks, kevin

Well, R-n-S beet me to it but i can't get mine to up-load for some reason anyways. But i have the same set-up. good luck.

it has the governor on it and the levers work back and forth when you operate the throttle, so i'm optomistic about it's condition. i think i can handle the set up for this-it appears fairly entry level. my only concern is how tight the throttle cable should be and if my rod is of the appropriate length.

as far as the "i wouldn't even be in the business" comment (if i'm interpreting it properly), i am a certified arborist with many years of experience in all aspects of tree care, so i might stick with it after all... this is just my first drum chipper is all.

thanks, kevin

I said "I" would not be in business, I would not without the resource is all I meant. My words come from the heart of a guy who has beaten his head against the same old chipper wall.
Find the repair and operation manual for the small stuff and find a shop who will and can work on it. You need a blow torch to take it apart.
Let us know how you make out with the gov. The specs should be in the manual and you can ask the people who sell you the rod. It does sound like it is working, I don't know who would take it off if it was.

Well, R-n-S beet me to it but i can't get mine to up-load for some reason anyways. But i have the same set-up. good luck.

It has been a few years since I looked a the govs. on those chippers. Does it has an oil plug and way to check its level? I think what happens is that they get dirty inside and have to to taken apart to clean. It is easier to buy a reman. unit but you might get a rebuild kit which is just the gaskets and some springs and little tiny stuff you need a spec for.

Latest posts

Back