another question about a whisper chipper (mechanical)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I said "I" would not be in business, I would not without the resource is all I meant. My words come from the heart of a guy who has beaten his head against the same old chipper wall.
Find the repair and operation manual for the small stuff and find a shop who will and can work on it. You need a blow torch to take it apart.
Let us know how you make out with the gov. The specs should be in the manual and you can ask the people who sell you the rod. It does sound like it is working, I don't know who would take it off if it was.

oh, okay. i wasn't sure. i'd like to get my hands on a manual, but my many searches on the internet have yielded me nothing so far. thanks for the input!

It has been a few years since I looked a the govs. on those chippers. Does it has an oil plug and way to check its level? I think what happens is that they get dirty inside and have to to taken apart to clean. It is easier to buy a reman. unit but you might get a rebuild kit which is just the gaskets and some springs and little tiny stuff you need a spec for.

Yes it has a fill plug at the top, you can see it in my pic!
What usually happens is; people fill it too full or till it is
full to the top! On the back side there is a fill level plug
and you fill it from the top until it starts to come out the
sight plug, back side bottom not seen in pick! The other
screw and jam nut is governor adjustment that if adjusted
should be carefully done not too much! When they overfill
these units are sealed and when they get hot blow the seals!
I am not an expert but have used and repaired them over twenty
years, so know a little about them!

thanks! that's about how i imagined it, but now i know for sure. hopefully the governor still works! i saved about $1,200.00 driving 2 1/2 hrs. to pick it up, so if i have to throw some $ at it, i'm still (technically) in the black. i'll let you know how it all pans out.
kevin:bowdown:

You aren't hurt at all if the machine is in good shape! One area
of biggest concern are the rotor bearings, make sure little play and
if they start to get sloppy, change them before ruining the rotor!
If when chipping the rotor at the bearings show movement up or
down you definitely need bearings.Many years of hard use will
wear them out! Another place that sometimes needs attention
is the feed plate it is the plate before the cutter or sheer bar
it will wear away after many years. Most every thing else is
just p&m!

Last edited:
Yes it has a fill plug at the top, you can see it in my pic!
What usually happens is; people fill it too full or till it is
full to the top! On the back side there is a fill level plug
and you fill it from the top until it starts to come out the
sight plug, back side bottom not seen in pick! The other
screw and jam nut is governor adjustment that if adjusted
should be carefully done not too much! When they overfill
these units are sealed and when they get hot blow the seals!
I am not an expert but have used and repaired them over twenty
years, so know a little about them!

Yes it is coming back to me , I remember starting a controlled fire in mine to free the drum, it was jammed good. I was not going to take it apart, the fire broke down the debris where I could dislodge it by dumping the clutch. On some disc type chippers I use a chain saw.

Can you not call the manufacturer of it a get a manual? How about ordering it from the library? If you have a big enough main branch they might have it.
I missed the details of how masterarbor got it but now I see. At least it has a lot of the things that go wrong with them maintained. I used to get leaves in my carb, those oil bath filters suck. I guess yours is a late enough model to have a better filter. Cooling system is a main one, you should recheck it to make sure nothing little was missed. Watch out for "bad fasteners" that will turn a small thing into a big one.

You aren't hurt at all if the machine is in good shape! One area
of biggest concern are the rotor bearings, make sure little play and
if they start to get sloppy, change them before ruining the rotor!
If when chipping the rotor at the bearings show movement up or
down you definitely need bearings.Many years of hard use will
wear them out! Another place that sometimes needs attention
is the feed plate it is the plate before the cutter or sheer bar
it will wear away after many years. Most every thing else is
just p&m!

the guy i bought it from was going to replace the bearings, but when he inspected them they looked fine. it runs like a top, starts first turn in freezing weather and chips nice chips. i'm just concerned about the governor being bypassed. i think i'll get a new cable and fashion a rod to the carb and see how she works.

Yes it is coming back to me , I remember starting a controlled fire in mine to free the drum, it was jammed good. I was not going to take it apart, the fire broke down the debris where I could dislodge it by dumping the clutch. On some disc type chippers I use a chain saw.

Can you not call the manufacturer of it a get a manual? How about ordering it from the library? If you have a big enough main branch they might have it.
I missed the details of how masterarbor got it but now I see. At least it has a lot of the things that go wrong with them maintained. I used to get leaves in my carb, those oil bath filters suck. I guess yours is a late enough model to have a better filter. Cooling system is a main one, you should recheck it to make sure nothing little was missed. Watch out for "bad fasteners" that will turn a small thing into a big one.

thanks for the advice! i'm feeling better and better about this whole purchase. hopefully in a year or two after the truck is paid for i can get a hydraulic disk chipper.

Welcome to AS, Master

That set up looks like the one on my Bandit 200. Same engine, I do believe. The governor ran dry on mine due to operator neglect. A new one cost me all of a $500.00 bill. Hopefully yours wasn't burnt up. They're quite easy to maintain, just keep the belt tight and the oil level up to snuff. I have more maintenance instructions if you need them for linkage adjustments, etc.

That set up looks like the one on my Bandit 200. Same engine, I do believe. The governor ran dry on mine due to operator neglect. A new one cost me all of a $500.00 bill. Hopefully yours wasn't burnt up. They're quite easy to maintain, just keep the belt tight and the oil level up to snuff. I have more maintenance instructions if you need them for linkage adjustments, etc.

thank you!:clap:

thanks for the advice! i'm feeling better and better about this whole purchase. hopefully in a year or two after the truck is paid for i can get a hydraulic disk chipper.

So am I. Glad someone could get you some info you could use. Don't forget to post how it goes.

masterarbor, a fella on e-bay has several service manuals for the Ford 300. Check him out you might find what you need: zzzzzz88. -Kevin

thanks guys, i'll look on ebay right now. also there is a service manual box on the chipper with an 800# for replacement manuals. a combination of the standard service manual with a more in depth ford manual and iu should be stylin'. i bought a new locking throttle cable last night and i'm going to hook it up to the governor today and try to fashion a rod to the carb. wish me luck!

Does The Governor Work? I Think The Answer Is Yes!

great news everybody! i got a new locking throttle cable with all new fasteners and fashioned a linkage from the gonorner to the carb with alltread and the appropriate connecting pieces. i haven't put wood through it yet with the new additions, but when i engaged the clutch a low RPM's, the engine began to bog down and low and behold...the governor obliged with a nice bit of unsolicted throttle. YEAH!!!!!!!! like i said i'm not exactly a mechanic, so i'm a little proud of myself. :) i got all the serial #'s and the 800# for new manuals so i'm all set to order those. unfortunately, the starter growled at me today to let me know that it probably needs to be replaced...but better now than at a job site. other wise she purrs like a kitten! i think this ol' chuck n' duck and i might end up being good friends.

thanks for your support and encouragement!
kevin:clap:

Congratulations! I pick up an old Fitchburg with the Ford straight 6 next week in NY. If I can keep at the same level of production as everyone claims I might get rid of the disc chipper and just use the drum chipper but I dont know yet. Having that hydraulic winch has been really handy.

Remember, Don't trust your tools for one second or they will get you!

great news everybody! i got a new locking throttle cable with all new fasteners and fashioned a linkage from the gonorner to the carb with alltread and the appropriate connecting pieces. i haven't put wood through it yet with the new additions, but when i engaged the clutch a low RPM's, the engine began to bog down and low and behold...the governor obliged with a nice bit of unsolicted throttle. YEAH!!!!!!!! like i said i'm not exactly a mechanic, so i'm a little proud of myself. :) i got all the serial #'s and the 800# for new manuals so i'm all set to order those. unfortunately, the starter growled at me today to let me know that it probably needs to be replaced...but better now than at a job site. other wise she purrs like a kitten! i think this ol' chuck n' duck and i might end up being good friends.

thanks for your support and encouragement!
kevin:clap:

Yay! I wish I could be so lucky trying to get the serpetine belt to stop squeaking on the pick-up. I tried it all and I am a master mechanic.
Purrs like kitten? You aren't doing it right. They are really loud. Let us know how big of a log it will chew.

Back