Another Red Oak for the taking.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My neighbor called me when i got home and ask me to come look at a tree that was blown over. When i got there it was hung up. This just happened this weekend. It's a nice Red Oak about 24 inches accross. Not many limbs, Only three but they are long and the trunk is probably 60 foot. A Lot of wood.

We walked over to his pond and the screen has come out of the overflow pipe and little Bream and Crappie were everywhere. So i went back to the house and got a net, We saved probably five to six hundred of the little guys.

It will be summer before i can get to the tree though but it will be easy to get to when it dries up. It's not far in the woods and on a path i made a while back to get to another tree.

We had to wear knee boots to get to the pond and tree. It is running off fast though. Just gonna have to study it to see how to take it down.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I make no claims of being a pro, but my first thought is to put a face cut on the bottom, and then back cut through from the top. Could be the worst way possible to do it, but that's how I would....:D
Kinda what i thought when i first looked at it, I'm hopin the small tree that's holding it up lets it go by the time i can cut it.

The meth heads that cut my maples down left TONS of stump grindings behind, so i've been taking trips to the dump getting rid of it. Yesterday as i backed up to the brush pile i saw a good number of large rounds sitting there.

Turns out somebody had thrown away 8 large red oak rounds, already cut to stove length:rock::rock:

So i shoveled out the silver maple stump grindings, then loaded in my free oak score. :rock:

Kinda what i thought when i first looked at it, I'm hopin the small tree that's holding it up lets it go by the time i can cut it.

I cn't see from here that it is propped up on any of it's own branches. I would stand on the same side as the small tree in case it causes the oak to roll off the stump.

I cn't see from here that it is propped up on any of it's own branches. I would stand on the same side as the small tree in case it causes the oak to roll off the stump.
It forks about sixty feet up and the small tree is in the fork. Pretty much centered it. I took a pic of it but it didn't show nothing. Only three limbs and they are still in the air.

The meth heads that cut my maples down left TONS of stump grindings behind, so i've been taking trips to the dump getting rid of it. Yesterday as i backed up to the brush pile i saw a good number of large rounds sitting there.

Turns out somebody had thrown away 8 large red oak rounds, already cut to stove length:rock::rock:

So i shoveled out the silver maple stump grindings, then loaded in my free oak score. :rock:
So your the guy that cabbaged on to my oak rounds.

60' trunks. They've got about 20' on the red oaks on my place. That screen pipe idea sounds alright. I fixed a concrete spillway with a catch pool . It's almost an every spring duty putting back those little ones.

Latest posts

Back