another season of ax men?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With as much flim as they have run here I would say they have more than enough for another season. Some of they guys I know working were being interviewed for the show. Supposedly they are still filming a couple ridges to the west from us. When those jobs run out though, there won't be anything happening around our parts other than logging ROW for future sales when the market comes back.

Owl

I like the show. I'd like to see another season. I'd like to see them focus on the ground work a little more, more saw action and such! :)

That's funny. Everytime I see those dumbos do something stupid (and I've seen lots of that) I start yelling and threatening to throw something at the T.V.

Its a Cheech and Chong show, at best.

TIMBURP? is the bar open yet? i dont think they make loggers look very good. tv always does that

I keep seeing cutters driving trees with trees, nothing wrong with that, but you should always put a wedge in the driven tree. If something goes wrong and you only 'brush' the driven tree it can come right back over the stump at you.

Another one that had me seething was seeing a green cutter start out falling, instead of learning to buck first. I spent almost a year bucking behind an experienced faller before I started falling.

I'll be amazed if they get through another season without losing a man. Maybe that's what they want. Ratings would go up for each man lost. Sell more toothpaste...

With as much flim as they have run here I would say they have more than enough for another season. Some of they guys I know working were being interviewed for the show. Supposedly they are still filming a couple ridges to the west from us. When those jobs run out though, there won't be anything happening around our parts other than logging ROW for future sales when the market comes back.

Owl

Yah, late last year the crews on the show were probably only out there after the hurricane just to fufull the requirement for the TV show, and not the mills. There must be a lot of windthrow cutting up there this year, after what I saw driving along Highway 26 after it re-opened after Christmas. Many sites will have to be cut just to replant, at a complete loss.

Around here there are a few big jobs going in (160 acre+ stuff). And there are also a lot of small sites being cut or thinned for pulp. With no mills cranking out sticks and selling off the chips and trim, prices have doubled for wood going to the paper mills. I see weird truckloads of culls and variable length logs and stuff that is obviously being sold to the paper mills by the ton. Some better logs are also still going to Coos Bay for export. A neighbor is select cutting the best of his stands for poles too. But overall, its pretty quiet around these parts. Not many yarding whistles this year.

Yah, late last year the crews on the show were probably only out there after the hurricane just to fufull the requirement for the TV show, and not the mills. There must be a lot of windthrow cutting up there this year, after what I saw driving along Highway 26 after it re-opened after Christmas. Many sites will have to be cut just to replant, at a complete loss.

Around here there are a few big jobs going in (160 acre+ stuff). And there are also a lot of small sites being cut or thinned for pulp. With no mills cranking out sticks and selling off the chips and trim, prices have doubled for wood going to the paper mills. I see weird truckloads of culls and variable length logs and stuff that is obviously being sold to the paper mills by the ton. Some better logs are also still going to Coos Bay for export. A neighbor is select cutting the best of his stands for poles too. But overall, its pretty quiet around these parts. Not many yarding whistles this year.

A lot of the lower grade saw logs going for pulp too. My Dad had 6 loads of blow down form the storm. We got out 3 of pulp and 3 of saw logs all hemlock. It averaged to $10/load more for saw logs then the pulp. No point in sending saw logs unless they have real good scale.

A lot of the lower grade saw logs going for pulp too. My Dad had 6 loads of blow down form the storm. We got out 3 of pulp and 3 of saw logs all hemlock. It averaged to $10/load more for saw logs then the pulp. No point in sending saw logs unless they have real good scale.

No kidding? Only $10 more a load for dimentional lumber? Not worth it. Why cut good stuff to length and spend the extra time, when you can cut crap for pulp? Poles seem to be the only thing to cut good firs for now. Or for firewood around the cities.

I am trying to get the ex to thin her crappy firs for pulp now. It would pay for the thinning, and the last owner of her property select cut/high graded here and left all the crap. The crap is growing and needs to be removed so the better stuff can grow for a future profit when lumber prices return to normal. Forked trees, leaners, lost leaders/broken tops, pistol butts, and wolf trees. But noooooooooooo! One of many reasons we are breaking up.... *sigh* She wants to keep the crappy stand crappy. Environmentalist type. :bang:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back