another space helmet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
[video=youtube;A5GKZAu_tqc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5GKZAu_tqc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

It sure does seem hard to design a good basic helmet, though I dont know why. Most I've tried are too heavy, or have trouble wth the attachment of muffs or a flip down screen. The builder bob types are the least comfortable but everything clips on to them and stays on. I tried a pacific kevlar for a while last year, awesome headgear and very comfortable fit but way too heavy especially when you tip your head back. Muffs wouldnt stay on it.

Using a kask now. Nice and light, reasonable headgear, good fit. I dont use the chin strap. Muffs can be attached but the attachment they sell doesnt work great. I ended up having to drill holes in the helmet and screw them on to get them to stay. The flip down plastic visor they sell gets scratched up in less than a week, and I havent been able to find a mesh screen thats a good fit.

Why cant someone get this seemingly basic task right?

Shaun

I had one of those helmets on at TCIA in Hartford this fall. Very well built very comfortable and nothing to get hung up on branches in the canopy. I have pre ordered and cannot wait for it to come available. Supposedly late March.

What where those metal clips on his boot! I like the uniform, reminds me of climbers in Japan. We always called them Power Rangers, cause of the bright colors, ya couldn't miss them, so they work!

What where those metal clips on his boot! I like the uniform, reminds me of climbers in Japan. We always called them Power Rangers, cause of the bright colors, ya couldn't miss them, so they work!

Those clips look like they fold away for walking on things you done want to scratch the heck outa? That helmet looks like it has high potentional. If a person has big ears they may have a hard time with the stow away ear muffs. I would have more to say if I could stand to look at it longer, kinda hurts my eyes.:laugh: my God those colors are awful.

You guys see him put a 3' peel on that attempted cut, fail. All show and no go.

Maybe I'm being too negative, but I get sick of all the gimmicks when the job just requires a determined person with skills and maybe a can of Skoal. Power Ranger suite just doesn't fit the criteria.

Using a kask now. Nice and light, reasonable headgear, good fit. I dont use the chin strap. Muffs can be attached but the attachment they sell doesnt work great. I ended up having to drill holes in the helmet and screw them on to get them to stay. The flip down plastic visor they sell gets scratched up in less than a week, and I havent been able to find a mesh screen thats a good fit.

Why cant someone get this seemingly basic task right?

Shaun

Just picked up a kask myself and so far I really like it. I wasn't planning on getting the muffs for it, I'd rather not have the extra bulk on my head while aloft but I was considering the visor. You say it gets pretty beat up that fast? For the amount of $$ they want for that visor you'd think it was made out of cryptonite or something..How well does it stay in the stowed up position and what keeps it up there?

I had one of those helmets on at TCIA in Hartford this fall. Very well built very comfortable and nothing to get hung up on branches in the canopy. I have pre ordered and cannot wait for it to come available. Supposedly late March.

They'll probably be out about the same time the t540xp hits the scene...

I think those euros are effin with us..

Both times I have really been smoked in the head, the muff's proved their worth. They take the brunt of a side or semi side impact, even if they break off, it's cheap insurance.

Husqvarna's logging helmet is the best. It doesn't have a chin strap, but it is light, comfortable, and fits. Only about $50 too. I have the Petzle and Pacific Kevlar also, but I really prefer the old cheap Husky, aka. the One Helmet Wonder.

Just picked up a kask myself and so far I really like it. I wasn't planning on getting the muffs for it, I'd rather not have the extra bulk on my head while aloft but I was considering the visor. You say it gets pretty beat up that fast? For the amount of $$ they want for that visor you'd think it was made out of cryptonite or something..How well does it stay in the stowed up position and what keeps it up there?

I have a kask. Unless you like wearing ear plugs, get the muffs. Mine work just fine. I also have the visor. It works great. It has screws that you just go finger tight with and there are some rubber washers. It stays up just fine. I guess my has some scratches but nothing crazy. The visor should be wiped clean with a damp cloth every so often. DO NOT USE paper towles or the towles at the gas station. I mean , you CAN, just not the best thing. I will say that I wouldnt want to just walk around/climb with the visor down all the time. It is to scratched up for that. It isnt made for that either. You are still supposed to wear glasses with any visor. When the wind is blowing chips in your face or the saw dust is dropping right down like little snowfakes into your face from a pole saw, you will be glad you have the visor.

I also keep my kask in a "tote" bag and hang it in the truck. That prolly has to do with my visor being in pretty good shape. NOT saying anyone else just throws theres around.....i am just saying it prolly helps it stay nice.

Last edited:
That's some outfit right there! Lol, it looks like some kinda power ranger costume or some ####... I mean, you know you're gay when you find yourself putting on a getup like that!

The hat seems forward thinking though, however even in a solid color, I don't think I'd be feeling it. Might be something to do with first impressions..

Look at all of us all AMERICAN AND THICKHEADED, saying how gay safety is , all missing fingers and scarred up because we've been nicked and cut by saws , all deaf and half blind because we laugh and call PPE gay ....I would say that If I had the chance to do over I would have tried to avoid injury any way possible and that includes hearing loss ..

boots are interesting and only about $500 US

103190.jpg

yep that thing looks about gay as aids..... nothing a little rattle can action can't fix.

Nice design features in that helmet, I like how the ear pro tucks back to stay out of the way.

I am still partial to the husky ear muffs on petzl helmet... best combo I have found so far. I also don't use a visor at all. It is always sunny as hell here so usually protective sunglasses are the norm. I always buy photochromic lenses (adjust with light) so I don't have to change them out when working in the shade.

I guess they do sound interesting to someone who makes 60k a year at there "regular job " and prolly another 65k a year on the side ... I will just stick to my redwings ...:msp_biggrin:

lol Your a little off on your figures too low on one and way too high on the other. But all kidding aside I have a stay at home wife whos only job is keeping me fat and happy so even with all considered and living in Ct not enough room left over for $500 boots... I currently have 4 pairs of boots, 2 chippewas I wear for ground stuff and a pair of Carolinas and Carhart (made by Chippewa) for climbing... and of course my Sunday going to church dress boots. None of them were much more $125 (all bought on sale).

I could live with one of those hardhats...certainly would be more attractive in a solid color. I'm guessing they'll debut well over $200??? I'd personally probably get one for under 2, but not pushing 3.

Like Tree Ace said, you are still supposed to wear classes with visor...that was not the case in the video. Kinda funny to see something so basic missing when he is decked out head to toe with the 'best'.

That new Darth Vader helmet on steroids is a little bit too New Age Tour-de-France ish for me. Petzl Vertex is comfortable & and I'm happy with the new Vizir to keep chips outa the eyeballs. I like the little scrunch 'em into your ears hearing protectors. My most favorite ones in the whole wide world, (er, Ontario) that I have tried are E-A-R Push-Ins No Roll Down earplugs. They are yellow with a blue colored "stick" on the end of them, and the suckers are highly durable & washable. The ones that get forgotten in pockets go through a wash cycle and come out looking like brand new. Having trouble finding a supplier that carries them now. Is making me anxious. Starting to hoard the remaining supply, and the other guys get provided with the el-cheapo roll ups.

Used to hate getting twigs cought in muffs when climbing. Another hate was forgetting the pole saw was hanging from the saddle untill I heard the "sproing" sound as it got pretzyled on impact.

I could live with one of those hardhats...certainly would be more attractive in a solid color. I'm guessing they'll debut well over $200??? I'd personally probably get one for under 2, but not pushing 3.

Like Tree Ace said, you are still supposed to wear classes with visor...that was not the case in the video. Kinda funny to see something so basic missing when he is decked out head to toe with the 'best'.
I thought I read 220 pounds but maybe it was $220. Too rich for my blood. My first Vertex cost $49.00. Now they're $100? Crazy. My head isn't worth 220 bucks.
Phil

Latest posts

Back