Another Spike Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a good set

Take it from an old ex lineman,get a good set,and a good set of boots. Those dang things will put you in pain,if they don't fit[not quite as bad,if they do]They have improved,so much,in the last 30 yrs.,much better,as well as all the climbing gear.You owe it to yourself,to get the best tools of your trade,you won't be sorry,in the long run.

"TRUE 'DAT!"
snoop_dog_bb.jpg

Bashlins with aluminum caddy pads...only way to go for me, and I climb in spurs alot. I've used both Klien and Buckingham steel and every kind of leather pad made. I have not used the velcro ones.

I don't think you can get the carbon Geckos in the States anymore. Since they had their little 'hiatus' the Geckos are aluminum. They're still incredibly light. I have a pair. I love the spur design. I have had two different pairs of steel gaffs in the past. Albeit, they were not the lastest high-dollar variety, I never liked wearing them. Painful. I frequently took them off once I was up in the tree.
However, these Geckos are the cat's butt! I don't even notice them on. So far, the footings have felt secure and they pull out easy.
No pain!

Pricey, but if you plan on spending any amount of time with them, better to shell out a few bucks than get something that'll hurt you.

NYSawBoss, you're running a MS 200 instead of an echo... so you're not doing things on the cheap. Go ahead and get the T-2's or Geckos. You'll love either.

Originally posted by buckduck
I don't think you can get the carbon Geckos in the States anymore. Since they had their little 'hiatus' the Geckos are aluminum.
can you elaborate on that
why did the states stop selling the carbons

Geckos

There was an incident where a first generation Gecko (carbon composite) failed. I don't think the fellow was seriously hurt. As far as I know, it was only the one time and according to the investigation, he had "altered" them in some manner.

Anyway, they pulled them off the market for a time. Upon re-appearing (the Gecko II), they are now aluminum.

I bought mine right after they became available again. I was expecting the carbon. But I'm not disappointed. I really like mine.

i tried them on at a recent trade fair mb, the centre of gravity felt all wrong.
but everyone ive spoke to that uses them says they are awesome once you're used to them.
the shanks dont skew off at an angle on y our leg like normal spikes so it makes it feel like the spike is angled backwards although its angled the same as normal spikes.
although the other angle(sticking towards the tree)is different.

What Al said

Things have changed in the pased 30 years, spoken like an old timer Al and I know where you're coming from. One thing didn't change, don't go cheap on spikes or any of your equipment. If you're going to be spending time wearing them make sure they are comfortable and well built and good boots to go with them. You use this equipment everyday and there is no sense to going cheap and getting something that's a PITA to use. Be comfortable and your days go smoother, even if you have a crappy day at least you're comfortable. Why do you think the guys back at the office have comfy chairs to sit in all day? Cause they know you're going to be their biggest pain in the a$$ asking for the better equipment you want out on the job. Don't sell yourself short, you're worth the better equipment you ask for. Ask any oldtimer if he wouldn't have liked to have had the new equipment they have today 20-30 years ago.

Back