Another Spike Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYSawBoss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright I'm shopping for my spikes and I wish to hear some opinions on what I should get. What would be the ultimate in comfort and function??

Thanks a lot

tony

I use Buckingham T-2 and like them, bought the velcro wrap pads with the metal inserts and they are very comfortable in my opinion. Used the steel bucks with the old leather pads for years prior and should have changed a long time ago. Do you have someone to show you how to use the things once you get them? Will take some getting used to if you have never used them before and caution so as to not gaff yourself. Be careful.:)

I've got someone to show me but I think I'm just going to find a small dead tree in the woods near my house and go low and slow. Keeping in mind I don't want to gaff my leg or my climbing line.

I thought we went over this on da phone?
aaf_whatthehell.gif

Ya don't bleeb me? :D

For someone new on spikes I would have a overhead tie in point with someone else on the ground on a belay and not rely on a laynard to hold you in place in case of a kickout. Smaller trees are harder to spike when learning than the medium to larger ones, Just find a dead tree set a line and go for it. I grew up in the city with not a lot of woods around so I learned on a telephone pole in front of my fathers house. Be careful.

Tony, They all work and they all are a little different. I have a set of Brooks (short/pole gaffs) a set of Buckinghams (Long Fixed gaffs)and a set of Kleins (short gaffs). I prefer the Brooks. I don't spend enough hours on gaffs to get wrought up about the shin pads.-The basic leather pads are okay (not great but servicable).

Originally posted by NYSawBoss
well Butch..you told me to start the thread to see what everyone was wearing..................so I did.

tony

Ha! Sorry 'bout that, I guess I did! That wuz just a brain fart on my part. Open a window!;)

steel buckingham are marginally comfortabler than bashlin ive only used them 2,maybe the titaniums are ok,bit pricey

Second opinion

What Butch, the guy asks for a second opinion and you have a brain fart? :D :D ROFLMAO Hey we know you are the worlds best Butch but some young Whiper Snapper going to have doubts and have to ask around.:D

i've climbed with steel bucks for the past 6 years.
thinking of buying a pair of carbon geckos now.
i'm starting to get ankle pains which i've put down to spiking.
apparently with the angle on the geckos you dont need to twist your ankle at a funny angle anymore
anyone got anything to say on that?

i know an instructer from writtle college who sufferd and still does suffer a rare illness from wearing spikes virtualy day in day out for long periods of time ,he suffered internal organ probs beleive it or not..last year he was off for a few months and was very poorly :(

Personally I would go w/ either the T2 or the Bashlins. I own both as well as some steel bucks. Of the t2 and the B's i like them about the same. However i like the price i paid for the Bashlins better...$80 from the pawn shop. I think if you keep your eyes open you might be able to find a pair similarly priced. I currently have the double thick felt T pads however am not exactly too satisfied w/ them. I think i'll be upgrading to the aluminum cup pads. Of all of the cadillac pads these are the only i've never heard negative things about.

I take back what I said about the standard pads being adequate. I'm getting old and sensitive. I spent an hour pitching out an elm in little pieces due to a limited drop zone today. Man those things hurt.:(

After using the velcro cinch-pads for a few years, I could NEVER go back to the old leather "T's".

For my AU$1015.50...couldent go past the T2s, and the chinch ring was awsome

To start to practise, if you have short spikes go for the dead tree,
But if your tring long gaffs go for a green tree, as Chris said,spikeing yourself will be easier on a skinny dead one..

Before my set of T2s I thought bleeding from the shins was just part of the job! I started with the leather Ts on some old kliens,
you knew you had em on thats for sure...The T2s , you goto keep checking there on your legs...Super comphy!

Enjoy whatever you try!...Derek..

Ps go for the two peice bottom strap...How do some people get away with the one?...Very uncomfortable for me..

Latest posts

Back