Another stacking question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIspecial

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been working on that elm for next year and had some time to start stacking. I got a bunch of pallets and started. But heres the question.. If I stack 2 rows on each pallet, is there any advantage to having air space between the 2 rows? Or is having the wood touching fine? I did a quick search but didn't find anything.

pallet stackin

Here is another take on stacking on pallets that fits my needs. Depending on how the pallet is constructed You can cut a full pallet up and get 1 or 2 smaller strips/sections. Then I put strips/sections end to end and it allows me to stack one row of wood only which works better for my yard and I don't have to deal with the whole pallet. Then I burn the rest of the pallet that can't be used for stacking.

Having air space between the 2 rows will promote seasoning. It will also allow your wood stack to dry more easily should it get wet from the elements.

Just make sure to stack it well so that it does not tip to one side or the other.

I wouldn't think it would matter if the ends touched. They are cut and able to release their moisture.

There was a study done on 2 stacking methods versus solar kiln drying in Alaska, clicky.

They didnt realise any difference with cross stacked wood against a standard stack of firewood. They also noted no significant gains from their solar kiln. So I doubt the little bit that touches on the tips isnt going to matter if it is off the ground and stacked to get airflow and sun exposure.

I have been working on that elm for next year and had some time to start stacking. I got a bunch of pallets and started. But heres the question.. If I stack 2 rows on each pallet, is there any advantage to having air space between the 2 rows? Or is having the wood touching fine? I did a quick search but didn't find anything.

everyones gonna have an opinion on this so heres mine. stack it as stable as you can sos it don't fall over. put it in as much sun as possible. cover it in wet weather. when its about as heavy as kite wood its ready to burn. keep cutting cause if this is all you have your gonna need a lot of it.

Back