Another stellar job by the boys in orange.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutOnaLimb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got called in to takes these stubs off of an American Elm after Asplundh came in and did there line clearance work. They left 15ft+ leaders with zero lateral branches. The 1 leader that was left was about 12" at the trunk. I know the boys in orange trim for clearance, and not appearance, but leaving these stubs is ridiculous. Is this actually company policy to stub off trees like this? I talked to the home owner and he said they were using a bucket truck. Come on, it would have taken another 1/2 hour to drop crotch these stubs. Im not complaining because I got the work, I just thought that Asplundh screwed the pooch on this one.

The only time I knew of nelson doing that is when the customer refused trimming, the power co pushed right of way, and only trimmed back to their easment line, no more, no less.
Perhaps thats what happened here?
-Ralph

What's most curious is the amount of tree left OVER the wires. Those branches look destined to be ON the wires someday.:confused:

Drop-crotching can do more harm than good. By cutting back the stubs, did you redistribute the tree's weight so much that failure of the top branches is now more likely?

Not all stubs are bad. If they reprout they can become good branches again. The attched article from aug Arborist News talks about that.

Some stub cuts are good, as with the work we did after your ice storm (hey, how come I didn't get any mention!:D I know i only lit the fire, but you did take a small amount of convincing, and I wanted to do even...) but do you want to compare that to ROW work? Will there be good crown restoration work in the future, or just mor hacking?

My bet is that the ROW contract is now on a per tree basis and they are told to be minimalistic

If you're that concerned about the tree, did you mention anything to the owner about all those boards nailed into the trunk (old treehouse?). And it looks like the tree is hitting the garage. I say remove it. :eek:

Originally posted by Treeman14
If you're that concerned about the tree, did you mention anything to the owner about all those boards nailed into the trunk (old treehouse?). And it looks like the tree is hitting the garage. I say remove it. :eek:
Yeah, I'm seeing some issues here far beyond the stubs left behind. :eek:

all those boards nailed into the trunk (old treehouse?). And it looks like the tree is hitting the garage. I say remove it."

You don't have to remove the garage. Just move the roofline a little. :)
Rebuild the treehouse, using pre-drilled screws this time. If they still have kids this may be an easy sell of some fun work.

It's not too late to restore the crown, despite the utility messup.

Sorry bout the size of the pics, and for the record that tree house is built up around the tree on 4x4 posts, there are no nails in that tree. There was a swing on the other side made out of cable, I told the home owner that it was cutting into the cambium and that it should be removed, She went and got some rope and I replaced it with rope since she didnt want to loose the swing. She said that they had a speed line set up in the leader that Asplundh cut. All in all it was a pretty cool tree. Kinda like the big willow my Granddad had when I was a kid that I used to swing around in after school.

Kenn:)

Latest posts

Back