Another task done

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been waiting for some snow on the ground as I don't like to burn without it. This winter it looks like we won't be getting any...well, we did get 1" back in Dec but it didn't hang around.

Today I bit the bullet and decided to burn my brush piles as we have been having good rain over the past week - things are wet. Had 4 piles to do but they were on PIA to get started. Cost me 5 gallons of diesel to get 3 of the 4 fired up (4th was still 'trying' when I left). Finally got them going by carrying my fuel can constantly from one pile to another and giving each fire a shot every couple of minutes. Must have put in about 3 miles by the time I was done. I was well wrung out when I got home.

Major problem was that the piles were not big, 8-10 ft around and about 8' high. Couldn't get very far into them so the starting fires were pretty much on the edges.

Had my camera but none of the piles were worth a pic :). Anyhow, that job was the last one hanging from lasst year's season - good to have it out of the way. Still going back out in themorning to push the big chunks back onto piles - there should be enough fire on them to get 'em going again. I just gotta see what happened with that 4th pile - it was sthe biggest in area, about 20' long.

Harry K

I know what you mean i burned some over the weeknd an buy the time it gets going good its about gone. What are you doing up at 2 in the morning.lol

I've had some luck here in soggy Oregon with using a blower to assist getting the brush piles going. I usually start the fire with some dry firewood, give it a couple of minutes to get going and then hit it with the air from the blower.

I have heard!!!!!

That if you soak some straw in diesel fuel place that into the pile as far as you can. Give that a match or two (or torch) and that should get things started. This is what a friend of mine does and says it works great. I have not tried it yet. But it sounds like it will work.

Korey

I've had some luck here in soggy Oregon with using a blower to assist getting the brush piles going. I usually start the fire with some dry firewood, give it a couple of minutes to get going and then hit it with the air from the blower.

Yeah, a blower does a good job. I tried it at the start yesterday but no dice. Maybe if I Had retried it later on ...

Went back today to kick the stuff together. Wasted trip, there wasn't anything to _be_ kicked back except one pile and those chunks where too big to wrestle :)

Harry K

Back