Another throw bag / bigshot option !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
I have never liked flaking 150 ft. of throw bag line into a bucket or small line mug, takes to long. Here's what I came up with. I came across a small plastic wire spool for audio speaker wire. I then made a small post ( longer than the width of spool ) and threaded one end for a 1/4'' - 20 bolt. Next I drilled a hole in the bottom of a 5 gal. bucket. I attached the post to the inside of the bucket, when you look inside, the post is standing straight up. Wrap the throw bag line around the spool and put the spool on the post. This resembles an open face fishing reel. The nice thing is that the line pays out pretty easy. You may have to pull some out to get started. I have been using this setup for 4 yrs. now, it has never tangled or gave me any problems. When you need to wrap the line up, slide the spool off of the post and wrap it with the spoolin your hands.:blob2:

A german came up with this box that folds down into a triangle. Keeps the line all tidy and is big enough that you dont have to mess with the line getting it in.

It is real compact when it is folded down.

Tom D. and Greg Good both have one. Is Sherrill selling them?

<b>Rich</b>
It sounds interesting, but my english is not good enough to understand it. What about a picture?
:confused:

Sergio

In regards to the 'Golden Retriever', I gotta say that it looks like I COULD save about a minute of the 3 minutes it takes me to repack my throwline. This item could do it in about 1 minute instead of 3, but ya gotta consider the minute it would take to get it out of the truck and set it up. Net savings is about 1 minute.

Now, for $118, PLUS the $18 adaptor for my soft bag (another 30 seconds wasted clipping THAT on every time), this item would need to do a WHOLE lot more than just retrieve my throwline... A blowjob or two added in might make the price easier to pay for such limited time savings.

Sorry, but this is one item I'm not gonna rush out to buy. For that much money, I'll flake it in the bag by hand. For the cost of 2 of these, I can get a new climbing saw.

Despite it's "cool factor", I did vote against adding the Golden Retriever to this years catalog, because of cost. Don't get me wrong, it's a great mechanical device, but if someone is not familiar with the expense of items like this (fishing reels for example), the price looks real high. And even if someone is familiar with similar products and the prices, they may not be able to justify it because their method of throwline retrieval is already pretty good. However, the name on the building is not Larkin Arborist Supply, so I was again out-voted, 1 to 1 (a Tobe vote counts double).

I think the best thing would be to try one out at a show, because it is pretty darn cool, and effective. We'll likely have one at this years ISA and TCI shows.

As far as the cube goes, you probably already noticed that is not in the catalog. We do have a sample (I'll try to get a pic up), but we didn't add it and I don't know why. It's likely to be an importing issue that we couldn't clear up or forgot about.

-Sean

cubefold.jpg

cubeexp.jpg

Here are pics of the cube folded up and opened. That is a 12" ruler in those pics to help you get a sense of the size.
-Sean

I like the GR concept. I saw Tom's prototype, and was at the convention where he got his inspiration :rolleyes:.

Anyone who spools 150ft of line a couple times a day will love it.

Latest posts

Back