Another to feed the CAD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickolas

Retired and messing around with old stuff...
Reaction score
Man I haven't been here a few weeks and I'm already talking like you guys... The CAD is coming on strong I believe. I picked up a McCulloch 740 off ebay and it arrived today. Cleaned it up somewhat and I think I got a decent saw for the money. It seems every time I get my hands on a MAC they always have 125 psi. I have no idea what these should have new or rebuilt but the one's I have run great. So this saw too has 125 psi, manual oiler works great, starter works good, inside gas tank is very clean along with oil tank and the muffler looks great . It is complete with a 28" bar and a McCulloch 404 chain on it still looking like it has a lot of life left to it. It has 40 and 1240 on the bottom. I don't know how to decipher those but I think a 7 is missing in front of the 40 and the other is a serial number.

Ya know I thought this was going to be a beast of a saw and heavy as hell and it isn't bad at all. Doesn't really feel any heavier than the MAC 250 I have so I'm happy with it. My other half is home today so I don't want her to see I bought another saw so I'll wait till tomorrow and see if she fires up and the primer works. I really hope it does dangit. This is going to be a good saw for me. I wonder why back in the day they only made some of these saws for a year? I don't know if this saw is common or hard to find or what but I like it and also the weight of it. Won't be any problem lugging it around in the woods. I paid 78 bucks for it so I think I got a good deal. It has compression and spark so she should ignite...

View attachment 262272View attachment 262273View attachment 262274View attachment 262275View attachment 262276

Last edited:
Sweet saw, Looks to be in pretty nice shape.
I would say your on the money with the numbers
that a 7 is missing in front of the 40. Not sure what
the comp is suppose to be but 125 might be a tad
low but should run fine. Once you run it, I bet it
comes up. Mac changed models almost every year
as well as other manufacturers. Must have been a
marketing thing.
Good luck with it.

Lee

Can't go wrong with the yellow metal!! Great choice, congrats on the new (to you) saw!!
:rock::rock:

If all your saws are blowing 125, I think you need to buy another gauge that reads MORE than 125! :msp_tongue:

Just kidding, man. Congrats on the new acquisition.

If all your saws are blowing 125, I think you need to buy another gauge that reads MORE than 125! :msp_tongue:

Just kidding, man. Congrats on the new acquisition.

I have a MAC gauge from the 80's when I was turning wrenches. It goes a lot higher. I have a Homelite Super XL-925 that reads about 165 so it works. It just seems that all the MACS I get all have 125. Just got the 740 and like the other's...125 What is a good strong number for one of these anyone know?

Back