another tree ID?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would double check if that is truly Cherry. Callery Pear or Bradford Callery Pear. Fools many people is knoxious in my notion and will put fruit on that looks like young cherry but never matures to "Cherry" One difference is the wood is to white not the rich dark color of cherry.

damn....really? lol there's several more that I was going to drop, two of them being huge. :-(

i'll double check. ok...just checked....the callery bark is slightly "rougher" than the cherry, so it looks like I'm good to go....I hope.

it did have that usual cherry tree smell when cutting it. i'll split one today and check the grain

When you get a catalpa cut into lumber and find the right customer you should be able to match or double Black Walnut prices. Try to harvest it for the novelty wood it is.

gotta think if it's worth it or not. keeping the wood while searching for a buyer is extra work.

there's a huge, and I mean huge, black walnut that we're taking down in a couple of days. we tried to find some one interested in the trunk, but so far no takers. the good news is it's in the woods, away from where some one would have put nails or anything in it. i'll measure it this week and maybe post a pic. we planned on cutting the trunk into two long lengths and storing it on limbs until we can find a buyer.

meanwhile, we took down at least 20 more ash trees with more scheduled to be dropped.

I do appreciate all the feed back!!!!!

Looks like Pin Cherry from here Del.

pin cherry bark....looks like what I have been cutting, but the ones I took down had to be at least 40 feet tall:

PCHE-bark.jpg

was just looking that up.....you might be right based on the bark, but I also found a pic of black cherry....

BCHE-bark.jpg

and there are several trees just like the one in the picture above. when I go back i'll cut one down and check it out.

source:

http://uptreeid.com/Species/cherries.htm

that pin cherry is a better pic I have seen those in my area usually scrubs never bigger the 6" or so and not tall.
not sure what cherry I have that seem to be dying but they look similar to the black cherry flaky looking bark like that

I wonder if cherry is related to the birch family? What I am calling pin cherry seems quite similar to yellow birch as far as the bark is concerned. Plus the leaves and crown seem to be similar.
Black cherry seems to have a more potatoe chip type of bark. Cherry, unlike birch is a flowering tree.

I wonder if cherry is related to the birch family? What I am calling pin cherry seems quite similar to yellow birch as far as the bark is concerned. Plus the leaves and crown seem to be similar.
Black cherry seems to have a more potatoe chip type of bark. Cherry, unlike birch is a flowering tree.

wondered about that too, only because the bark is similar. these cherry trees were tall and straight because they, along with the other trees, are growing in a dense area, and they're all striving for more sun light. the majority of the trees are tall, straight ash. I can get some over 25 feet without a branch coming out.

there are some white birch growing, but the owner wants to keep them and clear out around them. we get a lot of leaners because it's so dense, we just push them over with the front loader and drop them. once we get an area cleared, just drop and cut up. cut so many trees my chains can't keep up.

pin cherry bark....looks like what I have been cutting, but the ones I took down had to be at least 40 feet tall:

PCHE-bark.jpg

was just looking that up.....you might be right based on the bark, but I also found a pic of black cherry....

BCHE-bark.jpg

and there are several trees just like the one in the picture above. when I go back i'll cut one down and check it out:laughing:.

source:

http://uptreeid.com/Species/cherries.htm
I guess it's black cherry in at my place, just a second I'll go cut one down and check it out too:laughing:.
interesting. maybe you're right(?)

there's another big one standing. if I go back today, i'll take a close up of it and post it.

damn, learning some thing new every day here!
Just cut that one too and quit messing around.
I agree with the always learning, thanks to everyone for the education, now back to the cutting:chainsaw:.

Back