Another underdog saw....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi, Gents! I seem to enjoy trying to make old, worn out stuff useful again. I figure there are quite a number of you who get a charge out of it also! SO! The new project is a Husqvarna 162 which will be the firewood saw for next year (at which time the ancient 041 Farm Boss that is towing the line will undergo surgery). Everything seems to be in order but compression. Good spark, seems to be getting fuel (there's a nice "fog" in the cylinder when I pull the plug) but it doesn't pass the "lift the saw by the starter rope" test.

In going through all the posts regarding this saw, I understand it is closely related to a large family of husky saws. In fact, it has the same bore and stroke (and, obviously, displacement as a 61). So here's question... where might a fellow get some rings for a 162? Are they the same as a 61? OR MAYBE I can set it up with a piston and jug from a larger saw and do a "Frankensaw" number on it.? I've got time to play with it and I'd LOVe some input. Thanks, folks!

The rings might be the same as the 61. I have a 371 and a 372 the only difference ive found is that the 371 has only one ring on the piston and the 372 has two. I have since put a 372 piston in my 371. There are three different rings listed for a 372, check with your local dealer and he should be able to get the ones you need for your 162. If the same rings true in the 61-62 series you should already have the better piston for cutting wood

Rimgs are the same on both,but the 61 piston wont work in 162 because the 61 side of piston are"closed" to match the ports in cylinder.You could easily install a 266 cylinder with the piston,its just a swap.Even a 268 will fit ,but you will have to change the intake flange and need longer bolts.on 268 also,the idle screw system is different from 61 or 162,you gonna have tho drill a hole in the case to reach the screw.

Thanks, HiOctane, love the idea. Wrist pin and head gasket are the same? And would the larger displacement engine (67cc) still be able to use the same carb? It'd be nice to get a little more "ooph" out of the saw!

andrethegiant70 said:
Thanks, HiOctane, love the idea. Wrist pin and head gasket are the same? And would the larger displacement engine (67cc) still be able to use the same carb? It'd be nice to get a little more "ooph" out of the saw!
Pin and base gasket are the same.For the carb question,I never try or i dont remember if your original carb will fit,Im not sure.The diff being that the 268 carb bolts ( long ones ),they bolt right in the cyl ,not in the flange.Im pretty sure your carb would fit because the distance between bolts holes are the same as 61.The 268 carb bore was larger than 61,thats why the removed the 2 short bolts in the intake flange to make space for the larger bore carb and flange hole.

Amazing that you know this level of detail on these old saws, HiOctane. I take it your specialty is Husqvarna? I can't imagine that you could remember ALL the saws like this. Thanks for the input, I actually think I may go the 266 route. Sounds like fun.

ErrolC, how goes it? Bought the saw for next to nothing as a project saw. I guess I figure that any reasonably capable Husky or Stihl that runs well enough for regular use is worth $100 - $150. With firewood around here for a minimum of $130/cord, you get your money back quick with a decent saw. So those are the numbers I have in my head. I have been preparing a 100cc McCulloch to do some milling (bought for a song!) and figure to make out well building fences with it.

Latest posts

Back