Another wood ID. Don't you get sick of them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpOnTheHill

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I don't have the greatest picture at the moment, but this is what I know. The bark is the color of a silver maple but much to deep and rough. I thought maybe basswood but its fairly hard, heavy and growth rings are almost as tight as oak. The ends of the logs that were exposed to the weather for the last 6 months are a dark brownish-red. The new cuts and noodles are very light yellowish-white on some logs and others are a little darker yellowish-orange. All the butt logs I've been cutting are straight as could be with hardly any branches but these were pruned trees since they were planted many years ago. I took my maul to one of the halves and it bounces off, no penetration. The smaller rounds in the picture are locust. Thanks in advance.
image.jpg

What little of the bark I can see says "shellbark hickory".

Here we go. It almost looks like I have 2 different types here. The first 2 pics look alike and the third pic looks like ash maybe?image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

Update after splitting. The last picture above is ash. I still don't know what the first 2 pictures are. I've split a few rounds and wholly cow is it stringy. Difficult to split with the splitter and almost every piece had strings that have to be cut or broken to free the split. Fairly light wood now that I have it split. Inside color is very light yellow. I'll have to get some more pics of some splits. Any more guesses for me on ID? Thanks

Just looking through a id book. Possibility the first 2 pics are either Bur oak or Butternut going from bark pictures. A leaf sure would make it easier.

I am calling Sweet-Gum on the stringy stuff. Doubly so if it had a kind of "stank" to it when you were busting it up with the splitter.

Sweet Gum has a tremendous interlocking grain.

I am calling Sweet-Gum on the stringy stuff. Doubly so if it had a kind of "stank" to it when you were busting it up with the splitter.

Sweet Gum has a tremendous interlocking grain.

I forget who told me, but one member here was telling me it is about the preferred wood for railroad ties, precisely because it is so tough. Presented as an alternative to trying to process it for firewood, sell it to the mill instead. Maybe haul your logs there, haul some slabwood back, plus cash in pocket? I would most likely do that if I had a big flatbed or big trailer with brakes on it.

I know it burns good for firewood, just sorta a pain splitting, unless you let it sit in the round for like...two years or something like that, preferably with the bark off. Shaves off with an axe fairly well (the big ones). I wind up clearing tons of the smaller ones and always stack them as-is. Throw plenty good heat eventually.

The first 2 look like basswood. They got that fuzzy soft wood look to them. Is it really wet? Usually they split pretty easy. I have never seen sweet gum though.

N
The first 2 look like basswood. They got that fuzzy soft wood look to them. Is it really wet? Usually they split pretty easy. I have never seen sweet gum though.
Not very wet at all. Pretty dry actually when cutting it and splitting. Slit pictures to come soon.

Latest posts

Back